Just hatched chick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PippyChicken, Jul 17, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    My chick just hatched and he has a big blood spot or it looks like a bubble.with blood it in I don't know how to describe it.He just hatched and is acting okay but if it comes off will he bleed to death? I can't take pictures because my stupid card says Protected card whatever that means.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's the umbilical cord and if it breaks it could bleed it to death. Get it dry and keep it away from the other chicks who might pick at it and limit it's movement. I'd keep a warm/wet paper towel underneath if possible...let it dry and absorb slowly.

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    your protected card on your camera means that the memory card has a tab on it that has been moved to the protect mode so that the pics wont be erased. All you have to do it move it.

Some of my chicks hatch the same way and they end up fine if i leave them alone and do what Mahonri said

4. PippyChicken

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I have never seen anything like it before It's not like the other umbilical cords it's blood bubble I guess

5. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    dabbing the bubble with a swab dipped in Alcohol will dry it out quickly. dab a couple times a day this will not hurt chick. chick may squirm from cold alcohol but will not hurt. putting wet paper towel may not be a good idea as it will keep it wet instead of drying it out.
    good luck

6. PippyChicken

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Okay I will do that! I hope I have some Alcohol.. Can I keep the chick on a heating pad while I do it?

7. PippyChicken

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    NO HEATING PAD AND I DONT THINK ANY ALCOHOL! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] unless hydrogen peroxide is the same thing [​IMG] im a minor so i dont know

8. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    No hydrogen peroxide is not the same. Don't use it on your chicken for this.

9. PippyChicken

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Okay thanks for letting me know!

10. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    How is your chick looking?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by