1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shavaghn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Shavaghn

Shavaghn New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Yamhill, Oregon
    Quick question, I've read that it taked about 4 hours for freshly hatched chicks to dry, then you put them in the brooder, but what if it takes longer than 4 hours to dry, are they ok staying in the incubator longer. Also what if their are other chicks hatching do I leave them all until every chick is hatched??

2. narnia077

narnia077 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2013
    Hi
    I'm new at this but saw a youtub video and the guy left them in there for quite a long time, he waited till all eggs hatched and all were fluffy. Hope this helps :)

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chicks don't need to eat for a couple of days after they hatch since they are still absorbing their yolk (which is why they can be shipped across the country), so you can leave them in the incubator for a couple of days. You don't want to open and close the incubator all the time because it can lower your humidity and you can be more likely to wind up with shrink wrapped chicks. I usually just take chicks out once a day or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by