just hatched out a Wheaton Marans so should I ???

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Out of my BCM I just hatched out my first wheaton marans chick. All yellow. So the question is....., should I keep or not. If I keep, wht would happen if I put back with the BCM. Also, if a hen, what will I get with a BCM roo vs it being a Roo over BCM hens or would it even matter.

I hope this makes sense.

Well, firstly - The reason people get Wheatens from BCMs is that BCMs were made from Wheaten. Second - If it is a hen, it's your choice to keep it or not. Some people keep theirs, and just keep them seperate from any breeding. Personally I'm curious what I will do if I get one from my current eggs. As 5 of them are already supposed to be Wheaten, and both BCs and Wheatens in my bator are Bev Davis, I wonder if it is safe to introduce the fluke Wheatie to the expected Wheaties.

Anyway, about that - I'm really not sure. I know the color will turn out a little different if you cross the two, as you should get more Wheaties, but the egg color I'm not sure on. Should be the same, since it is the same bloodlines? As for it being a roo over the BCMs, I personally wouldn't do that. If it were a pullet, I'd keep it and see how it lays. You could also cull or sell it though.

The reason people get Wheatens from BCMs is that BCMs were made from Wheaten.

Sorry that is a lot of uninformed rubbish. Some breeders that can not tell the difference between a crow-wing (black wing triangle) Black Copper, and a duckwing (cinnamon wing triangle) Wheaten have bred them together. The Wheaten allele is recessive to the Birchen allele , so can be carried but masked.
Obtaining a Wheaten from two BC birds tells you that both parents are carrying the Wheaten allele, & if mate together will continue to produce Wheaten chicks. The Wheaten if mated to it's parent will produce approximately 50% Wheaten chicks & 50% carriers.
Wheatens can be sexed as soon as the wing feathers start to colour, at about 2 weeks
Wheaten with the addition of the Columbian gene becomes a Black-tailed Buff.
David
PS Wheaties are something I eat for breakfast LOL​

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry that is a lot of uninformed rubbish. Some breeders that can not tell the difference between a crow-wing (black wing triangle) Black Copper, and a duckwing (cinnamon wing triangle) Wheaten have bred them together. The Wheaten allele is recessive to the Birchen allele , so can be carried but masked.
Obtaining a Wheaten from two BC birds tells you that both parents are carrying the Wheaten allele, & if mate together will continue to produce Wheaten chicks. The Wheaten if mated to it's parent will produce approximately 50% Wheaten chicks & 50% carriers.
Wheatens can be sexed as soon as the wing feathers start to colour, at about 2 weeks
Wheaten with the addition of the Columbian gene becomes a Black-tailed Buff.
David
PS Wheaties are something I eat for breakfast LOL

There's a lot of that on here anymore.
roll.png

Hey Monkey there will be a great article in the April newsletter form MOAC about this same subject. It's a beginning series. You may want to go sign up for it and make sure you get on the mailing list for it.
It could be pretty helpful in understanding the BC/Wheaten cross. Then the series will be about how to correct it
Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Can you send me a link to the place to read the article about wheaton... You responded to something on BYC about Wheaton and I am interested in knowing how to breed it out.

Back
Top Bottom