Just how hard would it be to process birds without special equipment?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chanceosunshine, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    I really prefer CD for killing, typically use a broomstick. It is hands-down the fastest and most humane method available on the homestead. But, I must admit, I do like them bled out a little better, as far as the carcass goes. I always us CD if I'm simply putting a bird down - no mess, no fuss, no cone or hanging. But these broilers I have will be bled out.

I did try pithing last time and did not get a good angle for the stick and the bird fought having it's mouth opened, was not a fan. I will try again in future. It's not nearly as foolproof as CD though, especially for beginners.

2. archeryrob

archeryrob Songster

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    No, I have never bothered to open up one of the necks to investigate. I am not scientifically interested, I just wanted the bird dead and it made it so quickly and it satisfied all my needs. I have killed birds with this and with the cone. I thought the cone was a mess for one. I also felt like it took 15 seconds or more for the birds to loos conscience. whereas the windmill was 2 seconds.

According to this picture of duck vertebrae most probably break around 6
    [​IMG]

I am not that particular with my meats. My deer bleed out, but they don't surrender willingly. My waterfowl and chickens don't really. I always say particular and peculiar are just a step away for many people. ;)

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Noted, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: