Just how loud are hens?

Has anyone noticed their hens making noise when a rooster crows or makes noises, even if the rooster is down the street?

Chickens can be somewhat loud, mainly when there's some drama over eggs inside the coop. Before I got a rooster, I noticed my chickens hardly ever made loud sounds, but since then, sometimes it'll sound like they're having a screaming contest.

I guess it really depends on the chicken's personality and mood. They're just like people, all different!

Plan on them making noise. Mine do, but not every day and not the same chicken each time. Seems that sometimes they just need to let the world know they are there. Mine don't "sing about eggs". They just get in the mood to Bawk repeatedly for no apparent reason. My neighbor has three dogs that bark most of the day. I can't wait for him to complain about five minutes of chicken bawk every now and then.

Wow- talk about identical situations.

I too live in an HOA neighborhood, its not very active, but I went ahead and bit the bullet and came home with chicks 6 weeks ago (a black austrolorp, 2 EEs and a delaware). We put them out in their coop last week- and so far, no one in the neighborhood has said a word. We have the coop enclosed behind a redwood gate, with lattice on the top (seriously, we have a 2 story house behind us with an obnoxious nosy neighbor.... you cant see it from her house at all because of the incognito fence!)

DH has never had chickens, and has NO idea about their noise level. I may have fibbed a bit when I told him "hens are quiet, the neighbors will never know!"
fl.gif
lol. While they might not be clucking yet, we are free and clear for now. i DO anticipate at least one neighbor noticing, and probably saying something. Read your bylaws and dont give up without a fight- we certainly plan on fighting for our right to have our 4 hens....

And like the person said above, dogs barking at all hours of the night/day are FAR more abnoxious than a chicken clucking!!!

Some people just make fuss because its chickens. I know the area I move from , the people are making a stink on forums about chickens. Its funny because we moved. But before we moved , i hid 15 chickens and three muscovies. I had trees blocking them from neighbors views. I am sure they heard them and i gave them eggs so nobody near me cared. They were upset when we moved. I am much happier moving to where i could raise what I wanted. The muscovies are good because they make no noise. People behind us thought they were some type of dogs.
gig.gif
. I just let them have my entire yard to play I used them as moving lawn gnomes. Bribe with fresh eggs
smile.png

My w/bw Ameraucana hens can make a racket where you'd think we lived in the jungle... when they know I'm outback and haven't fed them yet. I have to run to the feed room, get feed and scatter it just to shut them up!

Quote:
My hens don't usually go about the Egg Song. The older couple did, but they don't lay anymore. Maybe they'd bullied the pullets into keeping their beaks shut
wink.png
Those big hens are quite intimidating to the younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom