Just how noisy are guineas?

YES keep them penned up at least a month before releasing them. Can you keep them in a corner of the coop during this time so they can acclimate to the flock? One where everyone sees and hears each other? I cannot tell you how important this is as I hatched 13 keets last year and kept them in a cage within a dog pen but I missed the latch coming out one night and they all were all over the yard the next morning. I was only able to catch one, which I still have, and the rest ran off into the woods
hit.gif

That was entirely my fault. If they hatch from a guinea you already have on the place I am sure you won't have that problem.

I think the wandering off problem only happens if you get adult birds from someone else. If you raise them as keets, they will stay at home. Especially if they are with chickens, and have a roost. They may need to stay in the coop for a while to make sure they have learned, but mine learned as babes in just a couple days.

Mine were baby keets, under 3 weeks old who got out of their cage and disappeared into the woods never to be seen again. I hatched them here. I think if the mother would have hatched them then there would have been no problem with them staying here.

Back
Top Bottom