just how stupid are they....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooneytune, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Do too some roo inflicted injuries my boy is in solitary pending move to farm [​IMG] this is the first night that he has not been with his girls. they usually put themselves away at night, but tonight they seem a little lost... To make matters worse, it is RAINING! and they are all just standing around in the rain like they can;t figure out what to do.... I just threw a few handfuls of scratch into the coop to encourage them to head in there. It just cracks me up that they actually do not have the sense to come in out of the rain....

2. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Try turning a light on in the coop. Might help.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

My bantam rooster will just sit on the steps in the pouring rain waiting for Mommy (That would be me. [​IMG]) to come rescue him. [​IMG] We spend all that time and money on a nice coop and this is how they thank us...

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Rooney,

A little sympathy please! ;O) lol, I can just picture them. What about a little flashlight in the coop so they know.......?

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Not so stupid-he certainly has YOU trained! [​IMG]

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey, I got a Dom. hen who is in the coop on the nest box all the time. She isn't laying just afraid of the roos i guess.

I've had newbies stick there heads between the steps and the coop or just pile up on the steps cuz they can't figure out how to get back in.

7. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    My girls were smart enough to refuse to go back into their run and coop the night after a possum got in the coop and tried to get them.

I thought that was pretty darn smart.

They were out in the yard scratchin' and catchin' and just before dark they all headed over to the run as usual. EXCEPT, this time they get to the door and stand there looking in. Nobody would go in. So, I decided to play the roo role and stepped into the run thinking they would follow me in as per the routine. No way! They just stood there and looked at me like "Not a chance we're going in there, buddy!"

Then they turned around and started roosting on anything they could find--outside the run.

I just started laughing and caught them one by one and delivered them to their fully secure coop.

It took about four days before they got back to normal.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Not so stupid-he certainly has YOU trained! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by