Just how useful is a rooster anyway?

How many hens do each of your little guys have?

The smallest group is just a little trio, and the biggest group is probably about 10 hens. Sometimes a hen will go rogue and switch groups, but they're all pretty happy in their little families. I keep an eye on them to make sure no hens are unhappy with the ratio, but there haven't been any real problems for the past five years or so.

Last edited:
For me, having a rooster was in the plan even before I got chickens. I think its much more natural for chickens to have a mate. I live in a small village in the country, so one rooster was not a problem. He tends to only eat after his ladies have finished eating as much as they want. Mr. Left overs...lol. It is also nice to see how much he fusses over his ladies and how fond they are of him. Its chicken love!

The one here is super useful! He doesn't make a habit of fighting predators though but he will lead his ladies away in a heartbeat.
The only way he'll face anything head on is if there isn't any other way, so he's not a coward he's smart.
I'm very glad he is, if he were lost i'd lose my best chick babysitter and hen fight bouncer lol!
He's also just really lovely yard candy, not a useful skill but a most welcome one.:)
20181024_214147.jpg

Last edited:
A while back, I posted "Buckbeak says time out." My rooster "Buckbeak" is an Ameraucana & a real control freak; he would do any thing for his girls: like find food, growl to alert every possible danger, attack any one or thing that tries to get them, get between them durring disputes, tell them when they need to go outside in the morning, back in coop for food & egg laying, back out again & when to come in at night. He's around 3 yrs old & came in as a hatchery chick; so I've seen all his moves. When he first challenged me, all i had to do twice was be brave, pick him up, hold on, & walk around in front of his girls; & never again.

Last year he figured out how to stop the hens from bickering in the coop when the 1st broody hatched her chicks. It was chaos & he taught them all to go straight to the corner for a "time out" as soon as they enter the coop. Instant calm & they still do it, including the newest beautiful grown broody chicks. Ive got pics. What would we all do without him?
rules by Buckbeak.jpg

The smallest group is just a little trio, and the biggest group is probably about 10 hens. Sometimes a hen will go rogue and switch groups, but they're all pretty happy in their little families. I keep an eye on them to make sure no hens are unhappy with the ratio, but there haven't been any real problems for the past five years or so.
My little bantam girls haven’t had much luck with a rooster.
My bantam Silkie died suddenly at 7 months. The girls never seemed to like him much for some reason.
My bantam Cochin took ill and died before a year old.
The little girls let my LF roos breed them but I’m afraid of injuries so I’m going to try a bantam roo again.
I just bought 4 bantam Cochin chicks and a D’Uccle.
We’ll see how it goes...

I like roosters. I like having roosters in the flock. After the great chicken loss of 2017 I don't currently have any large roosters. When my flock was at its largest, 35 + birds I had two roosters and they did a nice job of supervising their collective group. Everybody free ranged together. While I have seen my roostsers advance towards trouble they were mature, very large and took no guff. For the most part Roosters supervise. Call the hens to food and get in the middle of hen sqabbles. I would never look to the rooster to be the one to go to battle but they do a good job of calling the alarm.

Back
Top Bottom