Just insulating the nesting box area?

Morning :)

Have to say I worry about my chicken more than the eggs but have decent success with the following....

1. the 'milder' winters (20+) I've built a little straw house inside my un-insulated coop just big enough for the small flock of girls I have. I use simple loose straw for the floor and under that a put a plant grow mat that is often used for starting plants. When it's really cold I find them sitting in there and getting enough warmth to keep them happy at night. Can't say I've had too many problems with frozen eggs as long as I visit the coop twice a day - about 10 am and 4 pm or so (and one last check as I close them up at night). This still was a little busy for me so "upgraded".

2. I got R13 insulation with backing designed for 2x4 walls at HomeDepot -- running about 7.98 a roll -- and it took 3 rolls to do the walls and the ceiling. To keep them from pecking and soiling the insulation I then covered it by stapling my saved heavy plastic feed sacks over it - which is very forgiving to corners, turns, and other obstructions. I then put a brooder or heat light in the coop and turn it on when it gets cool. Other than the 2x2 door they have to get in/out it is now sealed and stays above freezing in there so far. No lost chickens or eggs.

If you have trouble getting behind the nest boxes I guess you can cut squares to fit snugly in the back and making sure the backing is out on the chicken side. Should last you the winter but maybe messy be summer and be discarded. But then only 8 bucks to put new insulation in next winter.

Hope that helps.

I have 2 Buff Ophingtons, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Production Reds and 4 Red Rangers all from Hoover's Hatchery. Next year my daughter wants to show in 4-H so we are going to add to our flock from a local breeder. We have not decided what kind to add yet. Any suggestions for good egg producers who are winter hardy?

Just pick any egg layer with a tiny comb (rose comb or pea comb, etc.)

My favorites are:
Hamburg
Rose comb ancona
Rose comb leghorn
Dominique
Easter eggers
Ameraucana

If you want something meatier, you could try
Wyandottes
Or
Rose comb rhode island reds

Last edited:
I live in WI and the winters get extremely cold.  I use the heated water base & a metal double-wall waterer.  I've never had any trouble with that - other than having to clean it daily (yep - I have 2 that I switch out every other day).

My question is this - you know that space between the roof and the side walls (where the 2x4's are on top) yeah that space.  I kept it open for ventilation but how do I prevent the drafts that blow through there?  It's fine for Summer they love the extra air - but in Winter... 

I am confused by this "problem."  I was thinking that I could frame the top with 2x2's and have like a drop ceiling - panels that I can put in for WInter.  But how do I keep the ventilation with that space closed off?

I have that too....and it is horrid how the wind rushes into that space.

I blocked it off with wood (not well, some gaps, but no longer a large hole with strong gusts).

I left open the vents that are lower down on the wall.....for some reason, the wind doesn't blow through those areas as badly, even though they are larger.

When it gets colder chickens grow what I call an undercoat.Little small feathers that help keep them warm.This starts as soon as temps start cooling down and with a heated they won't grow a very thick undercoat.I like feeding mine whole corn in winter because it helps kee ps them warm.far as the eggs freezing sorry I can't help on that one but the heated mat sounds best . Good luck

I live in WI and the winters get extremely cold. I use the heated water base & a metal double-wall waterer. I've never had any trouble with that - other than having to clean it daily (yep - I have 2 that I switch out every other day).

My question is this - you know that space between the roof and the side walls (where the 2x4's are on top) yeah that space. I kept it open for ventilation but how do I prevent the drafts that blow through there? It's fine for Summer they love the extra air - but in Winter...

I am confused by this "problem." I was thinking that I could frame the top with 2x2's and have like a drop ceiling - panels that I can put in for WInter. But how do I keep the ventilation with that space closed off?

I'm down here in Kansas City, so we don't get as cold as you do, but we do know what wind is.

My roof vents are aligned with the slope of the roof, so basically, the high and low sides are open on each end of my coop's roof. And I have vents in the low side wall that are below the roost level. Additionally, the ceiling has openings in it that are perpendicular to the open spaces in the roof, aligning with the roost. One such opening is directly above the roost.

In the summer, the windows are propped open and the wall and roof vents are open to do their thing... In the winter... The windows are pretty much latched down, with the exception of the window facing in the run, which is covered with a clear tarp during the winter... I completely block the roof vents on the low side so that cold air does not blow in there and spill cold air out onto the roosting chickens through the opening in the ceiling directly above their roost, and I restrict the roof vents on the high side by about 75%. The vents in the wall let fresh cool air in below the chickens... and the heat the chickens put out is enough to draw it up and out the roof vents on the high side without drafts.

Still... a hygrometer is your best friend when finding the balance between too much air flow and too much humidity.

Last edited:
My vents are about 6"x6" louvered. They are in the gable of the roof. The coop used to be a single car garage at one point. The wind hits the vent over the actual coop side of the building just about 24/7 but the louvers help break it up. Being 10 foot high also helps to dissipate the cold before it hits the ground.

Great idea to just insulate the nesting boxes! Our coop is not insulated but the nest boxes have rigid insulation all around.
thumbsup.gif

Of course it works best if they are external boxes.... The hens will be very comfortable up near the box structure. The Summer sun can make nest wall very hot and Winter wind make them cold. We also fully insulate (roof and floors) our dog houses.

Back
Top Bottom