Just Joined BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by QuiltinGramma, Jan 22, 2015.

1. QuiltinGramma

QuiltinGramma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2015
    Rainier, Washington
    Just wanted to drop by and say "hi" to everyone. My daughter told me about this website and I've been lurking around yesterday and today looking at coops and tractors. My husband and I just moved to the Pacific Northwest to be near our grandkids and have been inspired by our daughter's chickens and decided it's time to get some of our own.

Now that I think that the hutch has been decided on, I need to start looking at what kind of chickens we might want to get. What are the best chickens to start out with for someone who has had no experience with chickens? I look forward to exploring this site more in the days to come.

QG

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Production reds and black sexlink chickens are nice to bird to start out with. I started with production reds and found them lovely birds that produced plenty of eggs. A steady quiet bird that were easy to care for and maintain. Also not a breed that tend to go broody so no loss of egg production. I'm sure there will be more people along with lots of great suggestions for you. It really does depend on what you want the chickens for. Eggs, meat, broodies or looks. Here is ans article on choosing chickens a good read https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help. Wishing you the best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Welcome to BYC!
    Here you can get some of the best information!
    Were all here to help!

As for birds for a newbie,I suggest on Production reds.

Great egg layerss,laying X large eggs,and very curious (nosey) breed.
    I have a coupl.They mostly free range with me,but I am allowed to touch them.

They have great immune systems.
    This breed would do great for a new owner.

4. QuiltinGramma

QuiltinGramma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2015
    Rainier, Washington
    Wow! Thanks for replying so quickly.
    I will look into your suggestions but now I need to turn this blasted computer off and go to bed.
    Thanks again.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

@Yorkshire coop has given you excellent advice and tips.

Welcome to our flock!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Good luck on this wonderful new journey. Chickens are so much fun to keep.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

Some breeds that I would recommend would be Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, and Australorps. These are all docile breeds that also lay very well. These breeds do well in both heat and cold and should be fine in the Pacific Northwest. I've kept Wyandottes and an Easter Egger personally, and have enjoyed their temperaments greatly.

In my experience, Production Reds might not be the best choice (but I've only had one Production Red). I'm sure all their personalities vary, but I've heard that some Production Reds are mean, especially the roosters.

Good luck with your future flock! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.[​IMG]

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by