Just joined today

SanteeRuss

Hatching
Dec 7, 2015
Hi, I'm Russ from San Diego, CA. I had chickens many years ago, along with rabbits, and now I'm thinking about getting chickens again. Last time I was given 8 adult hens and a laying cage that I hung under a canopy I built. Not the nicest conditions, now that I think of it.. Now I'm thinking of turning my large dog run into a chicken run and either building a coop inside of it or attached to it. Since it's only two of us, I don't need many eggs but I like the idea of having hens to feed my worms and extra garden veggies to. I have 3 large garden plots and two established worm farms that do much of my recycling and provide me with great fertilizer and compost for my gardens. I long ago gave away my cages, waterers, feed buckets, etc, so I'm starting from scratch again. I don't have any chicks yet so I'm taking my time, doing my research and doing it right. I look at the chickens as contributing members of my family :) Anyway, any San Diego/East County folks that want to meet up sometime or have any local resources for the supplies and hens for a new beginner, please let me know.. I'm also thinking about raising mealworms to feed the hens/fish with, but one step at a time..

Thanks for reading..

Russ

Hello, Russ, welcome to BYC. Type 'California' in the search bar at the top of the page - do an on site search and locate the California threads and your 'neighbors'.

Welcome to BYC, Russ. Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely take advantage of BYC members in your area using the search bar as sourland suggested. Also, if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Russ,
welcome-byc.gif

Are you going to raise the same breeds of birds you did before or try something new? If you need any advice on the coop build, this is a helpful forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck and if you have questions, always feel free to ask.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom