Just joined!

Is it ok to have a bantam mixed in with standard size chickens?

• Sure!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Um, could be hard on the bantam.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Hi. I'm Tina. I'm a new member to BYC but have been returning to it for information for the past two months. I've had chickens since I was a little girl. I was raised on a farm with various types of animals. I followed those footsteps into my twenties but I guess work got in the way. I recently got back in the swing of things and I'm loving it.
Chickens put me at ease. It's very therapeutic for me. I can sit and watch them for hours. I couldn't make up mind which ones I wanted so I've got nine different breeds totaling twenty three chickens. RIR, leghorn, australorp, Buff Orpington, brahmas, sussex, red star, Black Star and a Cochin. I've also got two khaki Campbell ducks, two dogs and three cats.
I'm married with a twenty three year old daughter that's also married and living the homestead lifestyle (that's strange...23 chicks, daughter age 23! I just noticed that!)
My other hobbies are gardening (slightly), rustic country crafts, mixed media art and collecting and repurposing antique and vintage items. But there could be something else tomorrow. I love learning and doing new things.

In previous years I own my own business consisting of a gym, tanning salon and beauty salon. But, currently the Lord has blessed me. I'm at a comfortable stage of life right now. I have three rental homes, work part-time running a produce stand and sell my crafts and other things on EBay. I stay busy as much as I can. I just want a simple life full of the things I love.

My favorite quote is; Luke 1:37 FOR WITH GOD NOTHING SHALL BE IMPOSSIBLE

I'm still learning my way around BYC so I don't know how I posted the post above. Lol. Please excuse my mistake.

hi everybody! Just joined and am happy to share some info about me and my chickens and then get to know many of you and your chickens!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have spent a total of about 2.5 yrs caring for chickens at the community gardening organization where I work. The first year, I just volunteered one day/wk to feed and water them (but fell in love with them along the way!), so my exposure was limited. Now for the past 18 mos, I've been in charge of the flock. I still have so much to learn, especially about health issues!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 9 pullets at our Demonstration garden.

(3) What breeds do you have?

2 Ameraucanas, a black sex link, a golden sex link, a giant blue Cochin, a bantam frizzle Cochin, a white leghorn, a buff Orpington, and a speckled sussex.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Googling and a friend :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, hiking, cross country skiing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm married (20 yrs) with two black Labradors. I work at Wasatch Community Gardens in Salt Lake City, UT, but am originally from Massachusetts. I'm hopelessly in love with this new flock of pullets, and am developing new curriculum at work for workshops to teach community members more about backyard chicken keeping. I'm sure this website and these forums will be a great resource for me and for all our students!

I told you about myself but never said welcome. So, WELCOME!!

Welcome to BYC, we are glad you joined us!
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom