Just locked down 71 cot eggs

lol.png
As soon as I got home I unboxed them. My hands were so cold I couldn't tell how they were. so I used the face.
wink.png
I let them set till the next day and put them in the batorsand turned the turner off for 2 days so they set for 3 total but incubated for 2 of those.

I have had good hatches from Florida to Colorado as long as it was cold. Now in the heat last year? Whew....those babies were half started and then stopped and then started again as they traveled thru hot and then landed to room temp in our home and then went into the incubator. That period of this last summer was a bummer as there were some enormous quality bred eggs coming...ending up stop started when the got here. But I made up for it!!!

Even so, my Florida hatches have been just find in Colorado.... they say only hope for 50%. Some times I do better or with one big online seller on "ryhmes with fleatray" (not knocking the selling site as many good breeders use it as a tool, just contact your seller..ask questions..I asked a question from one seller once and they blocked me from buying, WOW...scary...glad they did if I am not allowed to ask how much their hens weigh!) I had only 3 hatch out of 36 and they were tiny eggs that grew up to be the "mean girls" of my glee club covey.
lol.png

You get better and better at it. I want to say that you get calmer at pip and zip time, but I went thru a period where I regressed so to speak. I found myself wanting to help them out of the shell and into the brooding tub (I use clear plastic tub with puppy training pad on bottom, torn in half to fit, with water and food on one side and light over the opposite, so that napping occurs no where near water). I get tired and don't want to stay up and watch for zippers to come out so I can get them in. So I put the partially out ones in the brooder so long as it was up around 100 and had added in some pine shavings shaped like a nest preheated to 100. That way I could sleep thru the night and know my zippers were "in place" and not playing kickball or getting stuck in the bator somewhere I would worry bout.

Some batches I set it and forget it (except adding water) and get the surprise feeling on hatch day. Others...the minutes drag and I feel like a kid "are we there yet?"....still after a year of back to back hatching. I guess it is why some long timers like Frank Allen and Jj, Mille, Daddy, Qaillady and such are still hatchaholics. It is too darned fun!

Don't be disheartened by 50% or less hatch rate when they are shipped . Hatch some more (warning! enabler alert! ). Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Tonya

Last edited:
I think these guys started pipping and realized where they were and decided their not coming out. Not the first one yet. Day 17 isn't till tomorrow though. So plenty of time. Temp is 99.4 and humidity is 71%

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

I had one hatch the other day... and when I went to get him out of the bator, he had his butt backed into the empty shell just sitting.
gig.gif

A couple finally popped out. tongue

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I've been off a few days so didn't get in on the drama till just now. Hey, TedJan, I'm glad to hear some have decided to make an entrance (or exit!). I hope the best for the rest.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom