Just Looking for some winterizing tips

We keep up on the coop pretty well. . It does get a smell to it from time to time but more so in the summer/spring. . We also make a natural spray to spray down the coop that keeps it smelling fresh. . I spray it down only a lil once a week dependin on if it smells in there. If the smell gets bad we gut the hole thing out u know bedding. .

I'm also from CT, up in the NW hills, and since we get more snow than most, I wrap my run in clear vinyl shower curtains from Job Lots. They are very heavy duty, and nice and clear, so you can still see outside through them. I bought them last year, and they survived last winter no problem, and I am getting ready to put them on again this week. Once I put the curtains on I stopped having my water freeze during the days, the sun would warm the run up nicely, making it pleasant for both the chickens and me when doing the daily chores! My coop is insulated, and so far it has dropped down to 32 degrees, even though it has been 13 out the past two nights, and I leave a window open 4" or so all year long. The birds provide their own heat, and the coop retains it.

Back
Top Bottom