Just looking to have some questions answered by experienced people.

jangelo02

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I have 20 acres of land upstate NY, in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains. Gets a little humid, average temp is about 75 in the summer, and can drop down to -10 in the winter with about 2 - 2 1/2 feet of snow. In the middle of the property I have a cabin that sits in about an acres clearing that my father planted clover in instead of grass. I have a large creek running thru my property about 100 yards from the cabin, and a few smaller ones that are really close to the cabin. What I plan on doing is clearing out about 1 or 2 more acres (Mostly pine type trees) working the soil and planting clover and rye grass in its place. I want to have a small homestead. I intend on fencing the area off in sections, keep about an acre for 4-5 sheep, and splitting up the other acre into land for meat rabbits, guinea hens, a few Muscovy ducks, and a Bee hive. I've already done a decent amount of research on these animals and they seem to fit my needs, I also want to have a garden. I have no problem eating duck, or guinea hen eggs (or really anything for that matter including bugs if i was that hungry). I'm just trying to figure out what would be the more independent types of livestock I could own that would feed itself for the most part so that I could still maintain a part time job and not have to spend it all on feed, and heating. The land is flooded with black flys, deer flys, and mosquitos - hence the guinea fowl and Muscovys, and also has a lot of deer on it (I like deer
big_smile.png
). OH and I also have an Akita and a Pit bull which I plan on setting up a perimeter fence for surrounding the livestock....My pitbull is out the door at the slightest noise, with the Akita on his tail, and they're both fearless. I would have to spend a lot of time getting them used to not eating the animals, but it is not above either of them. SooOOo.... Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or right? What kind of vegtables should I, or CAN I grow? What breed of sheep should I get that taste really good and do good in cold weather? I already have a cherry tree on the property, any other suggestions? Main predators in the area would be coyote, raccoon, black bears, weasels, and possibly bobcats. (Ive given a lot of thought on how to keep these predators out already, And my dogs will contribute to that, but I'd still like to hear what people have to say about it). So what do you think? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome!

There is a lot of information in both the Predators and Pests and the Coops sections of the forum on protecting from predators. Don't miss the links at the bottom of the page to our sister forums on gardens, herds and self sufficiency, too.

Quote:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yea....About 10,000 posts. I've read alot of them which is where I've come up with most of my idea's already. Was hoping to get a little input on my Specific scenerio Incase theirs something I may have overlooked. Mostly feed costs and maintenance of the livestock I'm thinking about getting...maybe someone has something better in mind?

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Any livestock will need a secure place at night and winter time. They can free range during the day, but I would only do that when you are home for your location. Any garden you have will have to be fenced, not only from the poultry, but from deer as well. It sounds like a great place. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
Welcome form Indiana! Yeah - the herd and self-sufficiency links might have better (more specific) answers to your questions. If you can process your own chickens, then it sounds like you live in an area where you could freerange lots of chickens (few losses here and there) for eggs, and then cut the flock down to just a few good hens and one roo to feed over winter (when they can't forage)...???

Back
Top Bottom