Just lost 5 baby chicks to coccidiosis. Help. Should I treat all my chickens and ducks?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I just had all 5 of my two month old chicks die. They looked a bit tired yesterday, so I had put them in a separate cage in their coop. I thought that they just needed a rest from the older chicks. This morning in the cage there were three dead chicks. There was bloody poop. I had no idea about coccidiosis. but that is what it is. I took the two that were still alive in the house and started treating with Corid. One already died in the house and the remaining one does not look like it is going to live. The coop that the chicks were in is where I just keep chicks. I know that I need to treat the older chicks that were in that coop. but I was wondering if I should treat all my older chickens and ducks that live in a different coops. I also have baby ducks that are in the same play pen that the baby chicks were in before I move them into the coop. Should I treat the baby ducks.

Do you have any pictures of the poops? Treating others with Corid is safe. Use the 2 tsp per gallon of the liquid or the 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Usually older chickens build up a tolerance to coccidia in the poop and soil eventually. I would use my own judgement on treating them all, but it won’t hurt. Make sure to keep bedding dry and add new often. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will treat everybody. The chick coop floor is wet because of all the rain we are having . It come from the ground flooding. I will toss a bag of shaving on the floor, hopefully no rain the next several days. Planning to move the remaining 13 older chicks to the other coop after 7 days of treatment. I will not be using the chick coop again. Should I mix the Corid for the baby ducks the same 2 teaspoon per gallon?

Back
Top Bottom