Just Lost My Rouen Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SilverPhoenix, May 10, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I just found my rouen drake, Albert, dead. Along with his mate Eugenie, he was one of my first ducks. I had him for almost five years and raised him from two or three days old.

I let him and the other big ducks and guinea fowl out to free range, and didn't shut them in before taking my dogs to the dog park like I should have. I haven't had any predator issues at all in years, so I guess I got complacent. I thought between the size of the ducks, the guineas alarming, and the fact that they go back into their dog houses in the kennel at night on their own, everything would be okay. It's strange that there were hardly any signs of a struggle, barely a feather out of place. Only very close inspection revealed puncture wounds on the neck.

I feel bad, I know I could have prevented this... On the other hand, I know Albert lived a wonderful life with me for the years that he had. I just wish his life hadn't been cut short.

I keep large numbers of poultry as pets, so there is a lot of death involved just because of numbers and because things happen. I sometimes struggle with the sadness of losing birds. Ultimately I love keeping poultry and it's certainly worth it, I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it is always so sad to lose one or more. I've had a lot of heartbreak with my birds in the last few years, lots of accidents and unexpected losses. It always seems to be because I make some stupid, minor decision and don't think the outcome is going to be what it is. It's always "But I didn't think [whatever] would happen!" Most of the time, it was things you wouldn't really expect to happen, but they do anyway. I just hate the feeling of blaming myself and feeling like I failed my beloved birds. I try hard to do the right thing for them but when I slip up it always seems to have a terrible outcome.

I'm really going to miss Albert. I feel bad that it was my own bad decision that led to his death. I could use some hugs and nice thoughts if anyone has some to offer. [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So sorry to hear this!! [​IMG] It's a shame when you lose one. [​IMG] Don't beat yourself up over it. He was probably so much happier free ranging than being penned up!!

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I agree with Barred Babies, don't beat yourself up, we are only human. I lost one of my Rouen ducklings last week due to a snake getting in to the brooder so I know how heartbreaking it can be. Best wishes for you and the rest of your flock.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear that. I moved a few of my older ducks into a now pen over the weekend and had a good feel and check over of them - I got a little sad holding and carrying them...Thinking about how much I would miss them if they were gone...and the oldest is only about 4 years old- so I may well have them for years yet. Its funny how we can just go so darn attached to our ducks...and other animals. They really are so important to our lives in so many ways. You know... If you had shut them in- something may have happened today..or tomorrow- and you would still find some way of blaming yourself. Its a natural reaction I think that we find a way to blame ourselves- when in many cases- there is nothing we could have done to change things. Remember good times and happy thoughts of Albert and Eugenie. They had a great life with you, and neither is left to grieve the other.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. Puncture wounds on the head or neck sound like the work of a member of the weasel family; ie, mink, weasel, fisher. I am worried that the predator will return.

6. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    My heart goes out to you! I agree, don't beat yourself up. Things happen. And really you can do everything right and there will still be things go wrong. Some things are just meant to be. You gave them a wonderful life. That is what counts the most.

7. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Pekin drake and I had raised from a baby. You will get over it but it hurts. I'm so sorry

8. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:I agree with duckyfromoz. We do get so attached to our animals, and it is so hard when something happens to them. We try our hardest to take care of them, but there are no guarantees. Whether or not they are in or out of a coop, anything can happen. Don't blame yourself. At least they did go together. It would have been harder to have one pining over the loss of the other. [​IMG]

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you for the nice thoughts, everyone. It does help it to hurt a little less. Albert had a wonderful life with me, and even his last day on earth was a beautiful day where he got to free-range the whole day. It doesn't look like there was much of a struggle when he went. It's strange going in the pen and not seeing him there, but at least I can know that I gave him a happy life even though it was cut short.

Actually, Eugenie is still alive and just fine--I guess I wasn't specific enough. She seems to be doing all right, though, she is happily with her other mate and son. I'm glad at least the attack did not leave anyone lonely.

10. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    [​IMG] I lost my little Pekin duckling yesterday even though it wasnt years its still sad. I cant even imagine the sadness if it was years I had her and not just a week. Hope you feel better....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by