Just me

WayCon

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Glad to have joined this group I have often looked at BYC for answers on raising chickens. I have had hens for several yyears now as I always preferred home free range eggs. Last year was my first attempt at actually breeding chickens and I had 2 broody hens that I had gotten from a friend. One was a buff orpington and to be honest I couldnt tell you what the other one was. Most of my chickens are mixed breeds. I had 2 hatchings last year 8 and 7 and of course some were Rooseters that I managed to find homes for and I gave some of the ladies away to friends too. I kept one Rooster to keep my ladies happy. This year I set 2 hens sitting early on and I put 9 eggs under one and 10 under the second. I had split an old covered trailer into 2 and both sat happily for about a week until one morning I fouund one had jumped over the partition and joined the other in her box. The eggs she had left were cold and I was very worried ... Nonetheless i returned her to her own box and made sure she couldnt crossover again. On day 21 the first chick hatched to the hen that had remained "Loyal" to her own nest and it continued over the next 3 days until all 9 of her eggs hatched. All from well-summmer eggs I got fro another friend. on day 24 the second hen had a chicken appear and then on day 25 another 2 in the morning and that night 2 more until she had 5 There are still 4 eggs which I will check in water tomorrow before removing I have been really surprised that the eggs hatched so late But I am so happy for the 2nd hen that she has at least some babies to mind after her sitting for this duration.... Well thats me in a nutshell for my first main post... (I have a 3rd hen sitting due on or around the 10th of July) Plenty of fun minding them all but my lovely ladies do the work for me....

Welcome to BYC!
Please do not put the eggs in water unless you want to make sure they are dead.
Use a flashlight/phone light, in a dark room, to look for movement instead.
Hi Kiki Why do you say not to Water Candle the eggs? My parents always did this when wwe were young and it always worked.... I was always told as long as the eggs hadnt pipped it was a safe way to check for life .. The eggs are now on day 26 and I assume they are dead but want to be sure I have tried with a torch but can only see black

-BYC-sign-flash.gif
Egg shells breathe, If you put them in water, not good!

Back
Top Bottom