Just need to vent about my dog

My JRT has killed so many of my chickens, he bites my friends, and wants to hunt and kill ANY living creature he crosses paths with.
He is my boy, and I wouldnt give him up for ANYTHING.

The world is lucky that Parson Jack Russell wanted a small dog . . . wink
If my dog was even 25lbs, Id be in a lot of trouble.

I have the 25lb version... It's called a shiba. To quote the misanthropic shiba website

Shibas have a high prey drive. High. Greyhounds run, Border collies herd, Labs retrieve… Shibas kill things. Lots of things. Things you didn’t think could be killed, like the toilet seat or your down comforter. By the way, how is your gerbil? Heard the wheel spin lately? I’d better check if I were you.

Chicken killing is an art with a goal of the chicken dying before the person watching can finish the word "no". It's suggested your yard can hold a maximum security inmate before you bring home a shiba puppy. Chain link fence=shiba ladder. For some reason despite research we got a shiba. Then again I know the reason... while someone is telling you all this you look down at this fuzzy fox like creature and remark "but it's so cute!"
roll.png
So far the score is shiba 10, chickens 1 due to interference. Luckily for a certain shiba puppy dogs trump chickens in this household but dogs do still get in big trouble and not even allowed in the dog yard without a rope if a chicken death occurs.

If you have a little money to spare I found that innotek recently put on the market an electronic collar with individual sensors. You can set the sensors in locations such as doorways, potted plants, furniture, etc.. and set the distance from 1-10' so when the dog enters the area it gets a shock from the collar and learns to stay away. I'm ordering my system this month and seeing if the sensors can be attached to living creatures. Mocha rabbit may get to be a guinea pig and one of the guinea fowl if I can catch any of them. If nothing else I'll stick the sensor on the door to outside.​

Bmax, I do hope you manage to sort things out. It sounds like you are a really caring and responsible dog owner.

We had a Jack Russell from when she was a 9 month old pup. We rehomed her from a rescue as she had reached that age when she got to be a handful (normal dog teenagehood really) and had been turned out onto the street by whomever had owned her before. She was a lovely little dog and she died earlier this year aged 17. We had our fair share of trouble at the start - I remember that she used to chew the arms and legs off my daughters' barbie dolls and the plastic eyes out of their teddy bears. And we also lost quite a few pairs of shoes!

Anyway, with patience, firmness and love a Jack Russell can make a very loyal and loving pet. The other posters are right about them being intelligent and needing lots of mental stimulation, but I am sure your dog gets that from playing with the other dogs and your children. I agree that a basic training class would be a great idea, and even try agility if the dog shows aptitude and after it has conquered basic obedience.

I personally would never use electric shock collars. I have always been able to train my dogs to sit, come, fetch, leave, go out, etc without any pain tactics using treats and their inbuilt desire to please me. I also think that tying them up leads to boredom, frustration, loneliness and worse behaviour. Containing their movements using babygates in the home, and fencing outside is better in my opinion. Terriers are VERY motivated by food, so using tasty treats is usually the best training technique.

Mine would always get excited by the doorbell, or people arriving, and an open gate is just an invitation for freedom! I'm glad hubby is fixing the gate for you. Good luck with everything, and I hope you can turn this little ball of energy around and into a great little family dog!

Thank you! We are signing Elliot and me up for classes! Right now he is staying in the house our on a lead outside. He hates it! I feel so bad for him but until we get everything worked out he just can't be left to roam around the yard
sad.png
He is a very very smart dog! I am amazed at how smart! I really think he sensed something about this guy as we found out (after the guy was harrasing another neighbors 14 year old daughter) that this guy has 2 restraining orders for sexual misconduct against him. That is what the sherriff said. So, I really think maybe he was protecting us. BUT we cannot have him getting out! I don't really want to do a shock collar it will have to be our last option!

I am soooo glad to hear it... Congratulations on your new well mannered dog to be.
smile.png
I think you have made a wise choice... Good manners last a lifetime and are sooooo rewarding and the lessons you and your other 1/2 will learn will stick with you through all the future dogs. Kudos!!!!

Nothing to add..everyone else gave great info. Just want to agree lol. I have a jrt who is 12 years old and he STILL runs up and down the fenceline barking his head off at everything and nothing all day long. I can barely let him outside. When the chickens are freeranging in the backyard he stands in the window and barks at them. He never goes outback as it's not fenced. I adore my Levi, he can be so cute and funny, but OMG he's a handful and if given the chance will dart out the door/gate and take off down the road. As old as he is, he's barely slowed down. He naps longer during the day, but still barks at and tries to chase everything.

id train the heck out of the dog and keep him. my parents lab always knew when something wasn't right with a person. that person did not come into her yard or bother her family ever. she never bit or even attempted. the evil glare and unearthly growl while staying in her yard was always enough.

some people dont like shock collars. in a perfect world every dog is sweet obedient and learns the first time. but sometimes both the owner and dog have issues that need first hand immediate help. a few zaps from a collar or be put down cause the dog escaped and bit someone.... better of two evils in my book.

Quote:
I can't stand the breed either. They are so smart, but so hyper and nippy.

To the OP--
I would get an electric fence and shock collar. It will quickly solve your problem if you want to keep the dog. The PetSafe wireless runs around $300 and works great even for stubborn dogs.

JRT are sweet and lovable... There VERY smart.... sigh. There just misunderstood yes they have bounds of energey but they are very good four wheeling dogs... mine follows me though the woods across the steet anywhere she wants to go she goes. Wonderful snake dogs. loves chickens (not to eat) there good dogs in genaral. just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom