Just not getting it...

Megber13

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
I have 4 hens, currently living in the garage due to delayed construction in the fall. They are all about 10m old, all started laying in Sept. All have been regular, daily layers, with the buff orp averaging every other day. The 3 minis are quail sized, 2 are cinnamon queens. The third is a light grey, and her eggs are always the lightest. I cannot tell the difference between the two queens' eggs, but of course, it is one of them I am missing an egg from every day. I am not sure it is one that totally stopped, or if they are taking turns. No one has molted, though two of the minis have gone broody (but were broken after a couple of days). Because they are in the garage, the ambient temp is maintained at mid to low 50s. There is a plant bulb, windows, and fluorescent lighting throughout the day.
I am still not understanding the laying cycle.
What is best for their overall health?
Is it normal for just one to stop laying if circumstances havent changed?
Is it better for their health to encourage a break in laying by inducing darkness vs artificial light and if so, how long of a break should be expected?
Thanks!

I would not worry about it. I am assuming these are first year birds. They frequently lay through the first winter, however, it is not uncommon for them to slow production and skip days in between.

If I am reading your post with understanding - they don't go outside? I do think that is something that is good for chickens, but it is really just a personal preference. I would think a garage is big enough for good ventilation and air.

I would not try and adjust their laying schedule, or encourage a break, but rather just let nature take her course. Next year, they will molt near October/November, depending on where you are at, and take most of December off. Then start up in January February. I try and store eggs when they are plentiful, to get me through the leaner months.

Mrs K

I would not worry about it. I am assuming these are first year birds. They frequently lay through the first winter, however, it is not uncommon for them to slow production and skip days in between.

If I am reading your post with understanding - they don't go outside? I do think that is something that is good for chickens, but it is really just a personal preference. I would think a garage is big enough for good ventilation and air.

I would not try and adjust their laying schedule, or encourage a break, but rather just let nature take her course. Next year, they will molt near October/November, depending on where you are at, and take most of December off. Then start up in January February. I try and store eggs when they are plentiful, to get me through the leaner months.

Mrs K
They do* go outside...but only when it is above 45 and not super wet, which is rare for the winter months here (western Pa). They have a temporary outdoor run that I take them out to for as long as they can be, weather permitting. The garage has a rubber gym mat flooring in tiles I can clean regularly, as well as the crappy chicken tractor coop I had for them (that clearly would not keep them safe outdoors overnight, as it turned out, so they have always been in the garage overnight since they were chicks). I am sort of surprised that I dont hear of more people that have this set up, but I do spend a ridiculous amount of time tending to them bc of it. I have never kept outdoor animals...I have a lot of adjustments to make this spring.
Thank you for the info. I would assume if she had been egg bound or ill, things would have taken a turn for the worse instead of just not laying being the only "symptom".

A rule of thumb that I go by and strongly believe is: If they are active, eating, with good feathers and bright eyes - they are fine.

Truthfully - I have never quacked a bird, I am amazed at how many people on here do so. But to each his own.

It is very common this time of year for even pullets not to lay every day. Or even not lay at all (which are what mine are doing).

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom