JUST NOW locked down & already need advice :(

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
Ok, somehow I miscalculated my lockdown date & just went into lockdown a few minutes ago. Technically this is day 19, and a few seconds ago I saw an egg rocking & heard some loud peeping! I'm concerned that this egg and a few others are ready to hatch but I've just now kicked up the humidity.. Will they be able to pip without a higher humidity? Will turning them an extra day have an effect? Has anyone experienced this before who is willing to chime in? Ugh, I need a hug. Why do I always go into lockdown right before bed?! Here's to a sleepless night! Any advice/moral support is appreciated.
hide.gif
Thanks all.
fl.gif
idunno.gif

You should be ok. I put mine in lock down on day 18 or 19. When you go into lock down on day 19 you just give the chicks an additional day of exercise. It didn't affect my hatches at all. Good luck and have fun!!!

Thanks all.. I had some chicks attempting to pip basically immediately after I set them back in the bator, so I was freaking. As of noon today, only one had hatched (so far), and I had to help him out because the membrane was kind of sticking to him. I'm thinking it's because the humidity was too low since he'd only been in lockdown about 8 hours. I spritzed him with some water and he was able to move around a little more freely. Also I noticed that one of the chicks that pipped this morning had some foamy whitish looking bubbles coming out of the pip site.. I did a little research & am bracing myself that he might not make it.. I've never seen these bubbles before so I'm confused. He was definitely still breathing through his pip hole when I left for school though. I'm dying to get out of class (we're on a break right now!) so I can go home and see what's going on with my babies! Is anyone familiar with these bubbles?

If your humidity is too low you can mist the eggs. It won't hurt them at all. I see in your post you did mist them.
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom