Just one chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CinnamonQueen, Dec 27, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I am going to get an Australorp as soon as I can find one. However, I can only get ONE to add to my existing flock of 3 hens. (how is this possible without Chicken math?)
    I have read that introducing a chick alone is unfair, but I really want to make this work. Once the chick is old enough, how should I put her in?
    Will there be any problems if she's alone as a chick?
    It's winter and the only available space for her is in the garage, where it could get pretty cold in there. Will a heat lamp be enough?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. friendlyfowl97

friendlyfowl97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    From experience you should never raise a chick alone... at least have another friend it can grow up with because chickens are very social animals and it will be very difficult when you try to integrate her into your flock later on. A flock can be very mean towards newcomers and having a buddy with her will make everything easier. Good luck with your future Australorps! They're a fantastic breed [​IMG]

3. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    I guess you're not supposed to raise them alone, but I've done it. I hatched chicks with a hen, but one was a super tiny bantam and the rest were really big so I raised her alone. She did really well and bonded to me, and now spends her days outside with the other birds but is really attached to me still.

But unless you have a few weeks to spend with the little chick and take it with you places, I wouldn't do it with a lone chick. I was with her all the time over my semester break and brought her with me everywhere. So it's not really an efficient thing.

I integrated her as a fully feathered, nearly full sized pullet to some other younger birds. She was bossy enough to push her way in, but I learned a good way to integrate is to put them with the other birds in a cage where they can see out and everyone can see in at them, but cannot injure them.

They lose interest in the new bird after a few days, I did that with my last chicks too so they could play outside and be safe. It's worked well for me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I think I'll have to wait.[​IMG] I've called every single ranch store in our area and they will have Australorps somewhere in MID JANUARY! [​IMG] That's like forever!
    Even then, I won't have time to spend with the chick like Heta Chick said.
    GAAAH!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by