just picked hard, compacted mass out of hens nostril-Update on post 11

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Msbear, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Great News!! My hen does not have Canker. I did some more digging and found it to be a bit rare in chickens and did more digging and found this article after seeing an old post on here.

Here's the article about plugged nares
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html Click on "Plugged Nare (Nostril)" on the left-hand column.

This is exactly what I pulled out of my hen's nose and there are no other sores in her mouth, ears, etc.

so, thank heavens... no "incurable disease" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Hallelujah!!! This is why I am an advocaat of not just going on ONE article or resource but to continue searching until you can find nothing else of relevance!

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thank you, Jesus! [​IMG] I love these birds and was really worried. Now, the article does not say how this is caused but apparently plenty of time steaming and picking will take care of it. [​IMG]

I put ACV in the water to help loosen and will steam her again tomorrow.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Awesome! I am so glad that you found out what the problem is/was and that the hen will be okie dokie.

I hate it when you cannot find out what is wrong and cannot help them. This is great news...yay Hen!

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Yeah, every time I tell the story to a new person, they are like what? The internet is awesome.

6. I dug one of those out of my bantam houdan's nostril the other day--know what causes it??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: