Just placed my first chick order (couple of questions)

clickchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
I'm nervous! My first chickens were purchased as started pullets, so this will be my first time with chicks :)

My goal was to order a few breeds from Cackle, but it looks like they aren't selling the particular ones I wanted in 2021. Bummer. So, I decided to go with Mcmurray since they had the one I wanted most. Chicks should ship out in May.

Anyway, I'm getting their minimum 15 of the bantams I wanted, 3 leghorns to add to my existing flock next summer, and a mystery chick. Questions:

With 19 total chicks, should I break them up into two brooders or can they all be together? Any recommendations for container(s) that would be good size for that number of chicks?

I want to use a heat plate. If it is reasonable to brood them all together, is bigger better for the heat plate? I haven't decided on the brand yet, but looking at Premier 1s' site they have a "small" (up to 20 chicks) and a "medium" (up to 30). Is the extra space a benefit or is there something better about them being huddled closer together under a smaller plate? I feel like that should be an obvious answer, but I want to triple check the current wisdom.

I might reuse this thread if I think of more questions. Thanks in advance!

Go with the biggest heat plate you can get. They all need to be able to fit under it at the same time.

They will also be growing quickly so that "extra" space ends up used up before you know it.

For 20 chicks a 4x8 brooder will get you all the way to through the brooding stage. If at all possible having the brooder IN the coop would really help with integration into your flock.

How big is your coop?

I don't think the size of the heat plate matters too much, as long as all the chicks can fit under it comfortably. I think I have the I have found that usually the heat plate companies overestimate how many chicks can fit under the plates, so with 19 chicks I would personally go for the medium size rather than the small. :idunno

Go with the biggest heat plate you can get. They all need to be able to fit under it at the same time.

They will also be growing quickly so that "extra" space ends up used up before you know it.

For 20 chicks a 4x8 brooder will get you all the way to through the brooding stage. If at all possible having the brooder IN the coop would really help with integration into your flock.

How big is your coop?

Thanks! Only the 3 leghorns will be going into my existing flock, the 15 bantams will have their own coop/area with no existing birds.

The existing coop the leghorns will be integrated into is 8x8.

Thanks! Only the 3 leghorns will be going into my existing flock, the 15 bantams will have their own coop/area with no existing birds.

The existing coop the leghorns will be integrated into is 8x8.

The bantams going into an unoccupied coop is awesome!!!
You could brood the whole lot right in that coop.

The bantams going into an unoccupied coop is awesome!!!
You could brood the whole lot right in that coop.

I'm reading up on this now! I don't have a power outlet close to where the bantam coop will be, but I could probably run an extension cable out there.

Texas nighttime summer temps are in the mid to high 70's on average, so I may not need the supplemental heat for the whole time they are brooding anyway (play that one by ear, of course).

I have my brooder raised chicks in a big stock tank with a hardware cloth cover in the attached garage, either with a heat plate (get the medium!) or heat lamp, for two weeks or a little longer. Then they move to a separate section of the coop, with their heat source, and start integrating with the flock when they are feathered out and don't need their extra heater.
The reason they are in the garage is to isolate them until their Marek's vaccine takes effect. otherwise they'd be out there sooner!
Home hatched, broody raised chicks are out at the coop from day one.
It will be most convenient for you to have electricity at your new bantam coop, if at all possible!
Mary

I have my brooder raised chicks in a big stock tank with a hardware cloth cover in the attached garage, either with a heat plate (get the medium!) or heat lamp, for two weeks or a little longer. Then they move to a separate section of the coop, with their heat source, and start integrating with the flock when they are feathered out and don't need their extra heater.
The reason they are in the garage is to isolate them until their Marek's vaccine takes effect. otherwise they'd be out there sooner!
Home hatched, broody raised chicks are out at the coop from day one.
It will be most convenient for you to have electricity at your new bantam coop, if at all possible!
Mary

Yes, the Mareks vaccine issue is something that troubles me. All the chicks will be vaccinated due to the potential for Mareks already being here. I've been going back and forth on what exactly I want to do about it for brooding.

I practice good biosecurity, have a separate pair of shoes I only use in the chicken area and always wash my hands when I go in there to clean up or pet a chicken. But I have no doubt their dander is everywhere, including the garage where I would likely brood the chicks if I don't do it entirely outside (before I figured out a better cooling system for their coop, the existing birds stayed in the garage during the 105+ degree weather we had this summer).

I'm not sure its entirely possible to completely eliminate contact, though I guess the garage is probably still a safer bet for those first few weeks because air circulation is lower and less likely to kick up dandruff into the brooder.

With 19 total chicks, should I break them up into two brooders or can they all be together?

All together. You want to minimize integration later.

Any recommendations for container(s) that would be good size for that number of chicks?

The size you need is going to depend a lot on what age you let them out of the brooder. They grow really fast. The majority of yours are bantams so they take less room. Since they are bantam you are probably getting straight run, no telling how many boys you will get. Even young boys tend to take more room that girls. There is no magic number for size, too many variables.

If you brood in the garage where it does not rain, you might consider getting a large carboard box, maybe from an appliance store. Put something down to protect the floor from staining with their poop. If they outgrow that get another large cardboard box and tape the two together. Could be a free brooder. They can fly pretty well even when young so you may need a net over it.

Texas nighttime summer temps are in the mid to high 70's on average, so I may not need the supplemental heat for the whole time they are brooding anyway

Yeah, play it by ear. They probably won't need any supplemental heat after they are three weeks old in those temperatures. When you have broody hens raising chicks you see how tough they can be. A couple of times I've had a broody hen wean her chicks at three weeks and leave them totally on their own in those kinds of temperatures.

I've been going back and forth on what exactly I want to do about it for brooding

That is hard. I have not had to face that. I think your option are to hatch in an incubator and vaccinate the chicks or let them go and see what happens. It probably won't be pretty. Marek's usually does not kill all of them, some seem to have an immunity. Some will make it fine but you have to decide what to do with the ones that don't make it. I do not want t be on that position. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom