Just plain confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cbrown86, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I was told this chick was a Buff Brahma, but am now told it is a MF D'Uccle. I also got it out of the pullet bin, but am being told it is a cockerel...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was also told that this one was a Partridge Rock, but am now being told it's not. Any ideas...?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baby pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure that the first chick is a D'uccle. It looks like a cockerel to me,but hey;It might end up being a pullet. (Not an expert on D'uccles)

The second chick..not sure. If it's a partridge rock,it's either hatchery quality or mixed (Not an expert on this breed either)

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The first one is a D'uccle. And the second one looks like a wyandotte. I am unsure of the genders though.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

The first one is a D'uccle. And the second one looks like a wyandotte. I am unsure of the genders though.

I agree with this. The D'Uccle does look like a boy, but you'll find out soon if he/she crows. The Wyandotte is a golden laced and looks like a pullet to me.​

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Your d'uccle isn't Mille fleur - it's blue/buff. I love the color [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hrm... these pictures are a bit confusing. I don't believe the chicks you are showing match the young birds in the first pic. The first dark adult bird is a gold-laced (possible Wyandotte).

The dark chicks in the latter pics are barred, which shouldn't every show up in any growth stage on a laced bird. The chick pics are definitely NOT Wyandotte. Wyandottes have a very specific and hilarious messy face pattern when they are babies, and never grow a barred pattern. At the most extreme, thier first feathers are all black/brown when they first come in, then the lacing starts to appear more during the juvenile molt.

What a puzzle!

edit: I was so puzzled I stared at the pics longer, and I CAN see a bit of barring in the older pic. Definitely a cross of two breeds.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    the second one is possibly a wyandotte or a dark cornish

8. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

The second is a dark cornish pullet. The picture as a chick shows juvenile coloring not a barred pattern. The pullet looks to have a pea comb and the stance, body type and thick legs of hatchery dark cornish.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The first is a D'Uccle and I would guess it is a blue mille fluer. And, yes, it does appear to be a cockerel. I'm not aware of any hatcheries that sex bantams so if the place you bought it told you it was a pullet then they were either misled, misinformed, or purposely misleading you.

The second looks like it might be a dark Cornish pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by