1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just plain weirdness (IMHO)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EmpressNoId, Dec 3, 2011.

1. EmpressNoId

EmpressNoId Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I have one little pullet in my flock that sticks her head through the fencing and puts her rump in the air. Several other pullets gather around her and pull out feathers from her tail, rump and back. This just started about a week ago. I am worried about her as she seems to like this abuse. I've gone out and stopped the pecking party only to have her right back at the fence in the same spot a little while later. I have bumped up treats and am adding cheese shreds and hard scrambled eggs to their treats. But this little one seems to invite trouble. They are all SLW's that I purchased together 7 months ago and they all seemed to get along fine. They have plenty of space albeit fenced in. Should I make a blanket for her? I named her DumDum because she seems to be a bit dimmer than the other girls.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    maybe not too dim, lol, shes got you trained. she gets feathers plucked, you save her and everyone gets goodies. Try blue kote (sp)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I had problems with feather pluckers, started feeding poultry conditioner from TSC and alfalfa hay. problem has stopped.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is probably being bullied by the others and is sticking her head through the fence so that it does not get pecked. This leaves her butt as the only available target.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I agree. If she were my chicken, she'd be gone.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Exactly ! Poor girl!!

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:She doesn't like it she doesn't have a choice, she is protecting her head. It seems like the others know she is a easy target and taking full advantage.

9. CrazyHungarian

CrazyHungarian New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Maybe she misses you and wants out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by