Just processed a bird..

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
This is my first processing experience and I held her and talked to her before hand. Yesterday she got to free range all day and today was the big day.

We got her all cut up and cleaned but we found this in her abdomen, I think? (it's hard to tell what part a chicken is after they're ripped to shreds)

Is it cancer? Is she safe to eat? We cut it out and away from the meat and we're boiling her for chicken and dumplings, but if she's not edible I'd really like to know.

That's an ovary. All those round things are undeveloped egg yolks.
A friend of mine told me the same thing but I was really freaking out. I didn't even consider it being the ovaries, y'know? They looked like they were 'floating' (but attached by some sinew and fibers) so I was.. really worried it was cancer or something. Thank you!

I wasn't sure how many people there would have wanted to see the inside of a chicken lol! Especially those keeping them specifically as pets.

I thought it was pretty interesting ... was also wondering if it was cancer. Would never in a million years have guessed it was undeveloped egg yolks. Thought those just developed daily one at a time. Ours are pets but still like to learn. Don't think anyone in our neighborhood would be allowed to process chickens.

The egg yolks sort of develop in an assembly line. The most mature is the largest, and the 'younger' ones are smaller and less developed. It can range from those small, pale polyps all the way to ready to lay yolks. The ovary in question had no mature yolks, so it was either a young bird that hasn't reached maturity or an older one that was done laying for the season.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty interesting ... was also wondering if it was cancer. Would never in a million years have guessed it was undeveloped egg yolks. Thought those just developed daily one at a time. Ours are pets but still like to learn. Don't think anyone in our neighborhood would be allowed to process chickens.
That's what I was thinking too, and I didn't see any of the guts (I was morbidly interested in seeing their insides to see how they worked) but the man who helped me process her just kind of pulled them all out before i could get the chance to see. Makes me think of my grandpa and the days we'd spend fishing, and I'd 'help' by watching and seeing how he'd cut them up after we hauled our mess of fish in.

The egg yolks sort of develop in an assembly line. The most mature is the largest, and the 'younger' ones are smaller and less developed. It can range from those small, pale polyps all the way to ready to lay yolks. The ovary in question had no mature yolks, so it was either a young bird that hasn't reached maturity or an older one that was done laying for the season.
I'm not sure how old she was, but she stopped laying in July. Haven't seen her in the nest at all since the beginning of July and she started acting more like a rooster? She'd pick up grass and do the clucking to get the attention of her flock mates, and she hated the rooster. She'd fluff up and look like a miniature turkey whenever he got around her, and this was well before she stopped laying.

I thought it was pretty interesting ... was also wondering if it was cancer.  Would never in a million years have guessed it was undeveloped egg yolks.  Thought those just developed daily one at a time. Ours are pets but still like to learn.  Don't think anyone in our neighborhood would be allowed to process chickens.
what do you mean by you don't think anyone would be allowed to process chickens. If its your chicken, your property, you can do whatever you want to with it. tell anyone who has a problem with it to get off your property

Back
Top Bottom