just processed several birds, coupla quick questions?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I spent the morning processing 5 of the CornishX - they are 6 wks old, dressed out to an average of 4 lbs (3.5-4.5). Took me 40 minutes per chicken since I was doing it all alone. Man, that's kind of *work*. May I ask a few quick questions:

1) Do I need to let the carcasses sit in the fridge to age before I freeze them? If so, can they be pre-packaged in the bags I will freeze them in, or what? Or do I freeze them right away? (THey were in ice water, and are already pretty thoroughly 'cold').

2) I can go ahead and roast one for dinner tonight, right, I don't have to wait?

Thanks very much,

Pat

i was told they ( guineas chickens) need to rest in the fridge for a day,, then their ready to eat,,letting the meat "rest" ,, and i would imagine if its for the meat to rest, you'd have to do the same thing before freezing,,,,,,i THINK,,, just started this stuff myself
wink.png

Ageing the bird 24-48 hrs prior to freezing is what most people do, but you can freeze them right away, just make sure that you thaw it in the fridge for a day or so prior to cooking. you have to give yourself the opportunity to get the best possible bird. You don't want to have done all that work and effort only to have a tough bird at the table. the question in the back of your mind is Man I don't have room in the fridge right now, is that right??. Here is another suggestion, just keep them in a large cooler iced down to fridge temps for 1-2 days, problem solved. if you want to have dinner tonight try one and you will taste the reason for ageing, just slow cook or marinade it to try and soften the muscles.
Good luck
AL

ok thanks! I made fried rice tonight, we'll have roast chicken tomorrow
smile.png
Al, you read my mind. I had not thought ahead to how much fridge space 5 chickens take up
tongue.png
But we'll get by. I ate the rest of the apple pie from the night before, that helped <g>

Thanks,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom