Just put my two Xs in freezer camp, have questions!!!!

dwyer360

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 10, 2010
This was my first time butchering chickens myself. it went easier then I thought it would. My two main questions are 1 of my birds skin is real yellow. That bird was a roo, the second was a hen and she looks perfect. These birds were about 8.5 weeks old. Is there something to worry about there????

My next question is when i was gutting the hen i had some real green fluid come out. Did i nic a bile duct it also came out its wind pipe. Is this bird still edible? I was them out real well should I worry about either of these two things? Please Help

I am not an expert, but the skin color on my Cornish X meat birds were a soft yellow color, I suspect that your birds are fine. The green bile is common if you do not gut correctly, but a nice washing and they should be fine. In my opinion if they were healthy and smell good eat em! Good luck and I am sure someone else will chime in if my info is incorrect.

Was wondering if the water was to hot when i scalded the first bird. I thought I read something here in the past about that. Thanks for the info!

If the water is too hot the skin will tear. If you copy my husband and leave the bird in the water too long the skin will cook.

Back
Top Bottom