Just put premier one fence around my whole coop!

Eps32

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
North Carolina
Cost some cash but after the latest dog attack on my flock from a neighbors pit bull. I feel like I have no choice. I put electric fence wire around my entire yard attached to tpost. Then premier one fencing around the whole coop and made a nice run with it. I hope I'm safe now.

Let us know how it works out. I think electric fences are far and away the best option for dealing with dogs and other furry predators. Assuming you keep the fencer going and the fence hot, they are effective 24/7, and involve no stress or confrontation on anyone's part. Animal comes looking for trouble, gets zapped, leaves. Pretty much exactly what we all want to see.

Issues to expect: poultry netting may sag a bit over time, so plan on finding a way to brace the corners. I'll check it out today, but you might be able to use plastic baling twine and a cheap tent stake. You also need to keep the weeds down to prevent the fencer from grounding out. One of the biggest reasons electric fences fail is they ground out and/or batteries go weak and no longer deliver a potent shock.

I am experimenting with a safe, low cost alternative to keep the weeds and plants down, which you need to do to establish a visible perimeter, and also to keep them from grounding out your fencer. Plain white vinegar with a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent to act as a surfactant. The other chemical solution is Roundup. Or you can simply weed eat under them, but that is a pain with the netting. Chemical solution is best plan for those.

Ya the fence has been working great so far they have about a 300 foot run and I also bought the sag poles premier one sales for when the fence starts to sag I've been weeding everyday my ducks and geese got a few shocks along with a few chickens but there respecting the fence now I just got 40 more hens to replenish my flock after the dog attack and two more roles of 100 foot fencing for my other coops and ordered another charger so all the fence isn't on the same charger it was expensive but I can't lose anymore chickens to a massacre like that so you know what they say if you own the animals be ready to dish the cash out to protect them but so far I give premier one 5 stars

On a second note my wife was kind of pissed I dipped into are savings for all this electric fencing but now that she has her table out there with her chairs and goats and can feed the chickens treats from the run and have a glass of wine she's happy and we decided no vacation this year so will spend are time off st home togathet with the animals that are now in a fortresse of electric fencing and predator proof coops really I enjoy that more then a vacation plus I hate trusting my animals to be watched and cared for by my brother while I'm gone so I'm happy

Vinegar will kill the foliage, but not the plant(like RU does).
In order to keep killing the foliage you might use enough vinegar the change the soil ph for a very long time.....salt would be even worse for the soil.

Oh, maybe I've given too much credit to 'salting the earth'.

In order to keep killing the foliage you might use enough vinegar the change the soil ph for a very long time.....salt would be even worse for the soil.

Ok thanks I'll give it a try

Back
Top Bottom