Just questions for my peace of mind. New Ducks, same old questions.

chellebyerly

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Jasper Texas
I've been reading, but do want to make sure I'm getting it right.

Yesterday, I had to go to TSC and pick up a few things. While in there the 2 year old wanted to see the 'abys' Then saw the 'aby ucks' well the manager decided each of my children NEEDED a 'aby uck' and so I came home with 4.

I thought I still had some chick starter here- unfortunatly I was wrong, I have grower.

These are about 4 -5 days old I think.

I got 2 yellow, and 2 of the black/yellow. I think Pekins and Ruiens (sp) .

Right now they are in a cage made for rabbits/chickens- they have a cottage cheese container with the lid cut, a regular chicken waterer, and a half an egg carton with their food on it.

There is shavings under them, and a light on them. They are under a shed, but its cooler today. mid-60's. Their is a red light on them, and directly under the light its 95-100*. But I havent covered up the sides, or made it air tight in anyway.

I will NOT be going back to town until Friday. do they NEED starter? should I start giving them greens or grass or anything at this young age?

When they get older can they have just a kiddie pool (I have hogs, and chickens, and horses and all, so I'm used to dumping out pools/waterers daily) or do I need to give them to my cousin who has a pond?

Actually, they will end up with a 4X8 black trough thing. Its what the pigs bath in. I'll get another for the ducks. RIght now I do have a kiddie pool that my Pot Bellied pig used to have.

When do I need to get rid of the light?
Some of y'all start letting them swim right away, others wait till they are a month old. is it just because of coldness? or another reason?

When they are larger and able to go out and free range, How does a 55 gallon drum sound with hay in it as a place to 'live' or nest?

I'm not real sure about building another coop/building for them right now. I dont mind giving them a few barrells, putting some chicken wire around it and shutting them up at night. But right now we are fiqureing out where everything will be permanatly, (broiler coop, hog pens, grow out pens, chicken coop, boar pen, etc) and I hate to build anything that I cant move at a later date pretty easily. WE are already regretting where we put the stuff we currently have up. LOL

But right now, I want to make sure I'm doing what is right for their well being, and when should we start giving them the extra stuff that they need? (greens and such)

thanks
smile.png

1st....congrats on the abys!
smile.png

Here is some info...

I got 2 yellow, and 2 of the black/yellow. I think Pekins and Ruiens (sp) . Might be mallards. My TSC sells Rouens but they are always Mallards...gah!

Right now they are in a cage made for rabbits/chickens- they have a cottage cheese container with the lid cut, a regular chicken waterer, and a half an egg carton with their food on it.

There is shavings under them, and a light on them. They are under a shed, but its cooler today. mid-60's. Their is a red light on them, and directly under the light its 95-100*. But I havent covered up the sides, or made it air tight in anyway. 95 is good, 100 might be hot. You start at 95 through week 1, then drop 5 degrees every week after that.

I will NOT be going back to town until Friday. do they NEED starter? should I start giving them greens or grass or anything at this young age?
Mama would give them greens. So a little wont hurt. The starter can wait a day or two. Shouldnt be a problem.

When they get older can they have just a kiddie pool (I have hogs, and chickens, and horses and all, so I'm used to dumping out pools/waterers daily) or do I need to give them to my cousin who has a pond?
Nope. Ducks like that dont NEED a full pond. I have some ducks who dont really love the water...lol.

Actually, they will end up with a 4X8 black trough thing. Its what the pigs bath in. I'll get another for the ducks. RIght now I do have a kiddie pool that my Pot Bellied pig used to have.
No water until they have all feathers and the oil gland is active so they can waterproof themselves or they sink...eek!

When do I need to get rid of the light? When the outside temp matches the temp that they should be in. For example if they are 3 weeks old and your temps are in the 80's you dont need the heat lamp.

Some of y'all start letting them swim right away, others wait till they are a month old. is it just because of coldness? or another reason?
See sinking duck response.

When they are larger and able to go out and free range, How does a 55 gallon drum sound with hay in it as a place to 'live' or nest? Perfect!

I'm not real sure about building another coop/building for them right now. I dont mind giving them a few barrells, putting some chicken wire around it and shutting them up at night. But right now we are fiqureing out where everything will be permanatly, (broiler coop, hog pens, grow out pens, chicken coop, boar pen, etc) and I hate to build anything that I cant move at a later date pretty easily. WE are already regretting where we put the stuff we currently have up. LOL

But right now, I want to make sure I'm doing what is right for their well being, and when should we start giving them the extra stuff that they need? (greens and such)

Have fun ducky mommy!

LOL, well, since I have 30 of 50 broilers left in their own coop, and about 35 teenage chickens in a coop with 7 adults, PLUS almost a dozen pigs, ducks cant be that much worse. LOL

OH rabbits... THere are over a dozen rabbits...

and 4 kids.. NOW THATS messy!!

I honestly didnt plan on getting ducks, not for quite a few years, when we were able to put in a pond, I fiqured we'd get a few ducks. But there wasnt much choice in this one.. I'd been in walmart for 2 1/2 hours, and 3 other stores with all 4 kids. At that point I'da sold one of them for some peace and quiet... LOL

Back
Top Bottom