Just Quiet Hens...Please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenLil123, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ChickenLil123

ChickenLil123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Okay so I have searched the sight for quiet hens and I am finding alot of good response to Bantams. Could you please only reply with your suggestions of quiet hens only that don't have to do the "I laid an egg" song. This morning, I had to get rid of 2 americaunas and 1 austorlorp because they were just too loud, too early in the morning for sensitive neighbors ears. I am now left with (5months old) 3 Americaunas and 1 Austorlorp that seem to be quiet layers .....thus far..... I have tried my best to narrow down my quietest babies, but if they start clucking too loud, too early I will have to sell them too. So please only respond with quiet hen breed responses if you will. Thank you so much and God Bless!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies are very quiet. They do cackle an egg song, but it isn't obnoxiously loud like alot of other breeds I've had, but they do still do it.
    Can I ask a few questions about your situation? Is it legal to keep chickens where you live? Is your yard big enough to move your coop away from the neighbors? These may be some things to consider if you don't want to upset your neighbors. You could always try bribing them with eggs :D
    In all honesty though, I really think no matter what breed you ultimately decide to go with, they're all going to make noise. If you aren't keeping them illegally, there's really nothing they can do about it as long as they're aren't breaking any noise ordinance laws. I guess I can see keeping the peace with the neighbors though....actually, no- I can't. I despise my neighbors. Good luck to you.
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by