Just Received Chicks in Mail this am, 1 DOA, 2 not eating w/Diarrhea

machomama

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 28, 2007
East Bay CA
Help please - we ordered 6 from Meyer's in Ohio - we're in CA.
one super weak on opening box at 9am, died w/in an hour.
two others now have clear diarrhea - have been droppering water with electyrolyte, and a bit of mashed feed with molasses. sleeping alot, seem very weak.
three are running around drinking eating and sleeping then running some more.

Anything I am missing?
Brooder temp is 93*F
We are very disappointed - feeling helpless in Oakland.
thanks for your help!

I'm sorry about that.
sad.png
I think the stress of moving was very hard on them. What you're doing is great. Just keep them warm. Don't handle them to much, that may cause more stress. With diarrhea, they need lots of water. You might give them water with an eye dropper. Just don't handle them to much. If they have Pasty Butt (lots of poop on their rear end) then clean it off.

I hope your baby's start feeling better!

Don't use too much molasses--that could make the diarrhea worse. Electrolytes and mashed feed is good for now.

oh no Machomama, sorry to hear about your babies.
sad.png

Sounds like your wacthing them closely and taking good care of them. Sorry I'm not more helpful, but I'm a first time chick owner too. I got a batch of bantam cochin chicks from McMurray this morning also, looks all are ok, but one is not as strong as the other 25.

I'm in Berkeley - I have more than I can keep!!!
hu.gif

Let me know if you want a few!

I'm keeping some, my mom is going to take some, and the rest I was going to put on CL soon - so do let me know if you'd like a bantam cochin or a mystery chick! For you, extra cheep and no shipping!

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I have been dropper feeding mashed yolk with electrolyte and mashed feed and this morning one was actually walking! Still very tired, and i am still forcing fluids and food, so maybe she will pull thru. I have separated the sickies from the busy ones. Heartbreaking tho:(
Thanks Motochick for the offer. i will review with my son this afternoon.
Thanks again everyone! Next time i will use the extra money we spent on a new incubator...it seems too brutal to send the babies thru the mail!

Travel is hard on little chicks, especially if they went the distance you mentioned! If you order more through the mail, whether from a breeder or hatchery, consider ordering at least 15. Some places say 25. That way you'll account for potential losses in transit (average loss can be up to 10% of chicks shipped) and the chicks will be better able to conserve body heat.

An incubator is well worth the expense if you want to hatch your own eggs. You'll also get to witness all the stages of development and the excitement of the hatch!

Yes, see how your son feels about it all.

FYI - I also got an "extra" chick, I suspect it's an Easter Egger. So you could have that one and 2 or even 3 more buff cochins for free.
Since they're the same age as your other chicks, they can still all grow up together.

Hope they pull through for you!
I had one of my five mail order chicks that was stressed by the summertime trip through USPS, but after some TLC and rest, she pulled through.
At least you have all the right stuff ready for them--so many people order chicks and don't seem to prepare with electrolytes, etc.

I was just watching my little Faverolles (she's now 11 weeks) out in the run, eating clover like a piggie and soaking up the rays. Glad I didn't give up on her!

Seems like incubating can certainly have its own set of worries to deal with, too. Nothing is completely fool-proof, it seems. Best to be prepared for the worst in any case!

You need to call Meyer's immediately and tell them the condition the birds arrived in. They should send you repalcements. If they do not, claim in your credit card for faulty goods and get a refund. Sorry to hear your distress but please call them asap...

Back
Top Bottom