Just rescued my chicken from the fox! Puncture wounds, please help!

hannahshatchery

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
We just had a visit from a fox and my dogs saved the flock! He had one in his mouth but they scared him and he dropped her. She's very shaken up but is alert and standing on her own. She has a few puncture wounds on her back, nothing is bleeding much so I am not sure how deep they are. I am worried about infection, other than cleaning them well what can I do?

Take her to the vet!!!!!!

Do not let the other chickens near her! They will peck at the smell of blood. Poor chickie!:(

Take her to the vet!

Brave dog, too!:):celebrate

That is literally the exact same thing that happened to my flock not too long ago!
I would clean the wound and then take a good look at it. If it looks deep then take her to the vet. If it doesn't look too bad then put a glob of Neosporin or Vaseline on the wound, isolate the injured chicken, and wait a day or two. If it doesn't look any better than I would take her to the vet.

Thanks guys. I am lucky enough to have a vet friend. The wounds look fairly superficial, though it's hard to say. I cleaned them thoroughly with a chlorohexadine solution and filled them with neosporin. I have her in the house with us on some nice clean straw, with some warm water and warmed grain. She ate a little and seems fairly comfortable. My friend is happy to get some antibiotics if we need them but her advice was to wait and see if it looks like she needs them after a day or two.

yes I'm proud of my dogs. I have two pit bulls, so for all of those that doubt their ability to be safe around chickens, take note, mine are wonderful with the girls and saved the day today!

Back
Top Bottom