just rescued

daegorn

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Pahrump
Hi, I have been a lurker for a while and am in need of help now. I have 22 chickens born valentines weekend (McMurray Hatchery) They are out in the coop loving life. I just rescued one peafowl and one chick. The peafowl is 3 weeks old and chick is maybe 3 - 5 days old. My question is how and when do I introduce them to the flock?
Lisa
/Users/lisa/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 485/DSC_0003.JPG/Users/lisa/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Roll 485/DSC_0001.JPG

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida.

Hello

welcome-byc.gif

How did you come to have 22 Valentine chicks? I ordered 25
chicks from MM hatched Valentine's Day. I got 22 and 1 mystery chick. One was nearly dead upon receipt & died
shortly after. That left me 22 the same age as yours.
You can't put the chicks together until they are nearly equal in size. Then you will have to introduce them carefully. I have read sneaking the newcomer in while chicks are sleeping is a good method. When they wake they assume the new chick has always been there or at least that it belongs. Last year I had a temporary pen near the coop & run. I alternated letting older & younger chicks out. After a while I let both age groups out near nightfall. This way they get a chance to interact but for only a short time as they go roost just before dark.

I have tempoary pens & "coops" for each age group. I am selling 16 of the Valentine's chicks & in a couple of months I will put the 6 remaining Valenine's chicks in with the seven 1 year olds & 1 two year old. I have thirteen 6 week olds, eight 4 week olds, 7 eleven day olds and 12 eggs in the bator. Hatch May 22. Will I ever stop brooding?

Good luck with your chooks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom