Just scared off the second bobcat in the past 30 days. No casualties yet. What are my options to prevent this bobcat from trying to take my chickens?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
I live on a side street off a main route in a busy town, but I’m surrounded by woods. So we get wildlife visitors often. Today, we had a bobcat. Actually this was like 30 minutes ago. I heard a one of my pullets make a noise as if it were being swooped up by a hawk, so I ran out to my back deck, and I see a bobcat boppin across the yard. The back deck has no stairs to the backyard, so I was unable to get down quickly. So, I instead yelled in a loud, deep tone. Which confused said bobcat. It wasn’t quite enough so I moved around on the deck to get a better view of the cat while continuing to yell. Bobcat then decided it’s best course of action was to retreat into the woods. I stayed up there just to make sure it didn’t hop back out again, while my mom went outside to keep watch while I grabbed my compound bow. She couldn’t find any of the chickens, but when I went out I found them all in front of the porch. So the score is currently bobcat 0 me 2. But I’m worried about when the bobcat strikes again, will I be able to react fast enough? What if I’m not here? I know how to deter hawks, I know how to trap mink, but what the hell do I do about bobcats? Will the department of wildlife trap and relocate for me? Enclosing them all in is not an option right now, and they have been escaping their fenced in area so they are free range for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

I'd say get the department of wildlife and they might try to trap it. And... This is a weird option, but if you can't make a small coop out of 1/2 inch hardware cloth with a roof and all, then wolf urine works really well to keep out bobcats as well as wolves. It's strange, I know, but it works.

I'd say get the department of wildlife and they might try to trap it. And... This is a weird option, but if you can't make a small coop out of 1/2 inch hardware cloth with a roof and all, then wolf urine works really well to keep out bobcats as well as wolves. It's strange, I know, but it works.
I have the hardware cloth just not the wood or the money for it. That’s a great idea, any idea where to get it?

Predator pee!
Wolf pee is for Bobcats; it works like charm for us. — We use both Wolf & Coyote Urine! Ha! :)
(We like the 33-day dispenser vials)

Good Luck 🍀👍🏼
Our chickens are so very precious! ♥️👩🏻‍🌾♥️
I am looking at this very option right now (have a post in Predators & Pests about this). We lost 2 mature hens last week to a bobcat. Thought we had discouraged it by chasing it off, placed our adolescents in a large kennel (1.5"x3" spacing) right against our backyard sliding glass door. It didn't deter it and we lost another RIGHT THRU THE BARS of the kennel last night. No damage to the kennel and the doors remained secure.

Had thought about an electrified wire fence but now thinking that expense will be ineffective.

Also looking at a product called NiteGuard that is a solar powered red light flasher. Has anyone got any experience with it?

Last edited:
I live on a side street off a main route in a busy town, but I’m surrounded by woods. So we get wildlife visitors often. Today, we had a bobcat. Actually this was like 30 minutes ago. I heard a one of my pullets make a noise as if it were being swooped up by a hawk, so I ran out to my back deck, and I see a bobcat boppin across the yard. The back deck has no stairs to the backyard, so I was unable to get down quickly. So, I instead yelled in a loud, deep tone. Which confused said bobcat. It wasn’t quite enough so I moved around on the deck to get a better view of the cat while continuing to yell. Bobcat then decided it’s best course of action was to retreat into the woods. I stayed up there just to make sure it didn’t hop back out again, while my mom went outside to keep watch while I grabbed my compound bow. She couldn’t find any of the chickens, but when I went out I found them all in front of the porch. So the score is currently bobcat 0 me 2. But I’m worried about when the bobcat strikes again, will I be able to react fast enough? What if I’m not here? I know how to deter hawks, I know how to trap mink, but what the hell do I do about bobcats? Will the department of wildlife trap and relocate for me? Enclosing them all in is not an option right now, and they have been escaping their fenced in area so they are free range for the time being.

Thanks in advance!
Call them to see what your options are....trapping/killing may be restricted.
Best bet is to keep the birds confined in a secure run.
Free ranging has it's risks.

I am looking at this very option right now (have a post in Predators & Pests about this). We lost 2 mature hens last week to a bobcat. Thought we had discouraged it by chasing it off, placed our adolescents in a large kennel (1.5"x3" spacing) right against our backyard sliding glass door. It didn't deter it and we lost another RIGHT THRU THE BARS of the kennel last night. No damage to the kennel and the doors remained secure.

Had thought about an electrified wire fence but now thinking that expense will be ineffective.

Also looking at a product called NiteGuard that is a solar powered red light flasher. Has anyone got any experience with it?
Those do not work at all, at least for us. Complete waste of money, IMO. Smarter to invest in electric fencing, for sure. That’s gonna deter many, many things and last you a long time. We haven’t had to resort to it yet, but it’s our next in the list if anything escalates.

We use motion sensor lighting(mainly for us to see better on the cameras, as they get used to the lights somewhat), predator pee (Wolf pee for Bobcats), and very secure coops. Hardware cloth is your best friend. — Have it “everywhere”!!! … Use it as skirting too, around the coop for diggers, such as raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom