Just set date for butchering

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by needler, Jun 14, 2011.

1. needler

needler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Athol, Idaho
    I'm a complete novice at this so I need some help. We have never raised chickens and the time is coming for the first thinning of the flock. We really don't need 8 roo's for 18 hens! So we have set a date to take them to the butchers but I'm not sure on what I need to take with me and what to do. The lady who is doing it for us said she doesn't "wrap" them. I figure she will just give them back to me in some sort of bag. We will be butchering between 8-12 depending on the how many the ravens get between now and then. I don't have a huge fridge either. So here are a couple of questions that have just come to mind

1. Do I need to "rest" them and if so how and for how long?
    2. What is the best way to wrap for freezing? Should I get a vacuum packer gizmo?

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future! [​IMG]

2. ruralretreatchx

ruralretreatchx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I've heard resting a chicken in the fridge 2 days is perfect. You don't need to buy a fancy vaccuum sealer. Just a nice freezer bag should do, or if your birds are bigger, you can buy big plastic bags at Wal-Mart and use a twist tie to close them. I would double bag to prevent freezer burn though. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by