Just set up a coop in less than half an hour

risingeaglefarm

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
I'm not sure how well it will work yet, but my guess is it's going to be really easy to clean and maintain. I can post pictures if anybody is interested. I'm sharing this set up in case others might want to try something like it.

The premade coop I was keeping my birds in had a few problems:
  • It was way too hard to clean and I never got around to it
  • It was not chick-friendly
  • It was not very secure against predators
  • The hens had no place to lay eggs

So I went out and bought a dog kennel for $130. Then, I laid six cinderblocks on the floor, side by side, in two rows. This was for the hens to build nests in, and in case any predators did manage to get in or the weather got harsh, the birds (small birds, like partridges) could find shelter inside of the bricks.

I put two large dishes on top of the cinderblocks, one for a water dish and birdbath, and the other for a grit and dust bath, plus a food dispenser.

My plan is to simply clean the cage every day by spraying it off with the hose, and keep about 4 females and a male in there. I am planning to let the birds raise their chicks in here, and put the a small shelter and the chick's food and water dish on the floor where they can reach it-adult food and water out of reach!

I'm thinking this would be a nice set up for button quails. I'll let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom