Just so you know...I'm here for advice..

Avianman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
I know, who isn't, right? :)

I raise chickens, but I was also a lead bird trainer for Carvalho's Friends of a Feather and was contracted by Sea World and Six Flags Worlds of Adventure to train and exhibit birds. I have worked with birds from Conures to condors....even cranes, cassowary and herons... I know a bit about behavior and training if you have questions. I also studied cockatoo behavior extensively, and was a breeder of Umbrella, Triton and Lesser Sulphurs.

All of our birds were free flight, and could leave at any time if they wanted to....they were all very very happy! (None of them ever did leave ;-) )

Anyway...there are so many people with great advice here, and I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.

You guys are great!

Lol, hi
I hope I am helping out with parrots, but is my advise right or am I on the wrong track?
I am very open minded and love to learn more about parrots.
I do have a very happy flock, but if any infor I said was wrong on different threads please tell me, then I better my way of thinking and better my flock
Thank you

I have a few general questions....just a little background first. My husband and I have been considering getting an African Grey. I have done a lot of reading and research and am concerned that if we do get one, we may not have enough time for it. I think I may be be going overboard in the time thing. In my mind in order for some parrots to be happy you need to be with them all day, everyday. That is just not something I can do, I work and do have other animals and birds too. The bird could come to work with me sometimes and I have plenty of entertainment for a parrot if watching my other pets is entertainment. All of my hobbies and free time are pretty much centered around home. How do working folks handle this? Can a parrot be happy with working caretakers? I do not want to bring a parrot in to my home if I can't do what it takes to make it's life good.

Ladybird- I'm not here to correct anyone, for sure! My experiences might be different (probably are!) so I may have different advice. We all help from our hearts, especially with these guys, so different answers don't mean "wrong" answers. I've seen a couple of your posts and it is clear that you have some happy birds!

Flowerchik- I think the time thing is often over emphasized. In reality, like children, that tends to make spoiled birds! Now, that doesn't mean we ignore them.

Where people generally fail is attention over time. When the novelty of having a parrot wears off after a few years, they start to ignore the bird. I can understand this, too, as I have a 21 year old parrot (Maxi Pionus) who can get "lost in the fray" sometimes.

The most important thing is to make them part of the action. Housing location and size is so important - the bigger the better and right in the thick of life! Let them experience the comings and goings. Routine is great but if things get too regular then they expect certain behavior and react poorly with variables in the environment. Bringing them to work is great IF the bird likes it - my caique LOVES going to work with me but my Pionus HATES it and gets stressed out.

Bottom line - don't worry too much, as the fact that you are concerned at all shows you care. If you buy a baby, expect to spend a lot in the beginning, and then it will taper off over time. If you spend a little time each day, and allow some parallel play (he/she plays next to you, not with you) then it will be fine. If they are in the thick of life in your life, then they will feel a part of your life! The worst thing people do is have a "bird room"! They will have a blast watching and manipulating other household pets (and you, too!) - remember, a 30 year old grey can have the relative intelligence of a 3 year old child!

My advice is to go for it! Greys are fun and funny parts of our lives. ... You will love being a parent to one!

Wow, I am really jealous of your experiences! I would love to get into something like that, or even participate as part of an internship. I'm currently waiting to hear back from veterinary schools that I submitted applications to, but if I don't get accepted I think I am going to look into other birds related jobs until I can apply again next year. I would eventually like to be an avian veterinarian.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board!

I know, who isn't, right? :)

I raise chickens, but I was also a lead bird trainer for Carvalho's Friends of a Feather and was contracted by Sea World and Six Flags Worlds of Adventure to train and exhibit birds. I have worked with birds from Conures to condors....even cranes, cassowary and herons... I know a bit about behavior and training if you have questions. I also studied cockatoo behavior extensively, and was a breeder of Umbrella, Triton and Lesser Sulphurs.

All of our birds were free flight, and could leave at any time if they wanted to....they were all very very happy! (None of them ever did leave ;-) )

Anyway...there are so many people with great advice here, and I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.

You guys are great!
Hello.
I too am a Bird Trainer with some extensive experience (most of mine with macaws).
It's always good to talk to an other Trainer, so I for one am very glad you are here! :)
WELCOME!

I just brought home my 4mth old CAG Zeke.
Okay trainers what are your opinions on bonding with a bird? I tend to be more of a hands off let the animal come to me when they are comfortable kind of pet owner, but parrots seem to be on a different level. The breeder told me I need to just gently grab them up and not give them any options, even if they growl at me. I am not so sure about that. It seems like a major intrusion on their personal space. I am not sure how that would foster trust in me. My method of letting the pet choose when to give love has worked well with all of my other pets, except for my mean rooster, we occasionally have to play king of the roost. I have worked with my parakeets some. They will eat out of my hands and perch on me in their cage. They seem comfortable with that. I never try to force them to do it though. That's about as much physical interaction as I get with them. I hope for more with Zeke. I don't really think the parakeets look to me for anything more than food, water, treats, toys and free time out of the cage to fly, they have strongly bonded with each other and seem to be a very happy family. Zeke is on his own in his cage.

I just brought home my 4mth old CAG Zeke.
Okay trainers what are your opinions on bonding with a bird? I tend to be more of a hands off let the animal come to me when they are comfortable kind of pet owner, but parrots seem to be on a different level. The breeder told me I need to just gently grab them up and not give them any options, even if they growl at me. I am not so sure about that. It seems like a major intrusion on their personal space. I am not sure how that would foster trust in me. My method of letting the pet choose when to give love has worked well with all of my other pets, except for my mean rooster, we occasionally have to play king of the roost. I have worked with my parakeets some. They will eat out of my hands and perch on me in their cage. They seem comfortable with that. I never try to force them to do it though. That's about as much physical interaction as I get with them. I hope for more with Zeke. I don't really think the parakeets look to me for anything more than food, water, treats, toys and free time out of the cage to fly, they have strongly bonded with each other and seem to be a very happy family. Zeke is on his own in his cage.
Flowerchik, first of all; Your bird MUST ALWAYS have the option of saying no (no to stepping up for example). This is the only way to have, real and trusting bond with your bird. And second; what are you feeding them? (a good 30% of all bird behavior problems stem from a bad diet)

The parakeets get Roudybush pellets and a kayteee seed mix. I am very slowly trying to convert them to total pellets. They also get veggies and fruit every morning and I sometimes add brown rice or chopped boiled quail eggs. The only snack they get is millet. We are still trying to figure out what the Grey prefers. He is finishing up the weaning process and is being fed zupreem embrace bird formula every evening mixed with a bit of yogurt and baby food,per the breeders instructions. He was on Higgins pellets at the breeders. I was told he was eating Zupreem Natural so that is what I bought. Right now he is getting a mix of both of those and I added some of the roudybush pellets that the parakeets eat. I am going to see what he chunks to the ground and try to figure it out that way. So far I am seeing zupreem on the bottom the most. Those are so big. I have tried soaking them in some orange juice, but he turns his nose up at that. I bought some coconut milk to try to soak them in. I guess I will have to see what happens with that combo. He also gets fresh veggies every morning.

Back
Top Bottom