just started farming meal worms

After about a week, we had some moldy oatmeal, so I changed out the oatmeal, took out the dead worms etc. and put in fresh. What do you experienced folks do if you get mold? We are using carrots and a slice of whole grain bread for moisture.

thumbsup.gif
Started the meal worm farm couple months ago. I have three beetles. Started with 200 or less worms. They said 250 but it did not even look like 100. So anyway, lots more pupae now, maybe 50. Hope they don't die first. I think i lost about twenty altogether..
Feeding them anything sterilized like rabbit food and chicken pellet crumbs. Apples, and banana peels they like alot. I have like a plastic wash basin size container and a bbq wired grill for the lid duck taped on. No varmints here to eat them so no problem.
Something I have noticed now though is the worms are growing twice the size of normal two months back. Hope it continues. Good Luck to you all. I have lots of time so I separated pupae on to sheets of brown paper. Quiet and dark for them. know how many to look forward too. Keeping track so I do better next time. I placed them on top of the kitchen cabinets. Warmer and not so bright.
I figure I will start feeding the hens after the beetles have layed a new batch and give those adult worms maybe half to them and let the rest multiply. does anyone know how long a beetle lives, how many eggs can they lay and for how long??? I have three comets/stars and they are very productive. I hope these worms will do them justice. Do the worms get a raw deal I don't know. Are you a vegetarian? Otherwise we can't be hypocritical can we. Everything in moderation.
hit.gif
Thank you

Last edited:
I know this thread is from a long time ago but I was wanting to know how everyones worms are going?
And how long do the beetles live plus when can you change the bran to clean it without throwing away any eggs.

mine are good... i don't worry about it... u can keep them allot simpler than most of what u read... i have mine in shoe box size plastic tubes... about twice a week i give them potato slices and they get kitchen scraps (potato peels, carrot peels/ends, apple cores)... every month or 2 i dump the tub out over another tub and sift the chunks out with 1/4 hardware cloth... anything that don't sift gets fed to the chickens... i feed my sugar gliders, turtle, and fish when ever i want to just reach in and get some worms off the top and feed them out... i add wheat bran when its about to run out... when the tub is about full ill sift it out and only add about 1/4 of it back to the tub to start fresh... at this time ill ether make more tubs to sell or just feed it out to the birds...

I just got my new babies
jumpy.gif
yesterday (first time chicken owner
wee.gif
)

There are tons of inch worms (or maybe they are silk worms) in my area right now so I fed some to the newborns... was that a good idea or not? So then I started thinking about the meal worms. Can I feed these to the 2-3 day old chicks or just stick to the starter? Also, is this worm farming worth the time and trouble? I am always finding more chores for myself, then I wonder, "why did I do this again?!!!" I love being efficient but jeez... just because I can do it doesn't always mean I should!

Thanks for your time and advice!!

I am looking to start my own colony to feed my 21 hens and maybe sell some too. Where is the best place to buy them from? So far, Petco looks promising. I live in a small town but can order online. All help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom