just started laying 2 days ago. yolk in poop, lethargic, occasionally spitting up water(?), crop looks weirdly full

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
hi i have a 19 week old leghorn x RSL who just started laying 2 days ago. she laid an egg yesterday as well and not today.

i just came to check on them before bed and she’s looking really lethargic, more than just normal pre-bedtime energy.

i then saw a poop that looked almost like egg entirely and then another mixed. i also see some on the ground around that must be from earlier.

her crop also looks bigger than normal but maybe i’m overthinking it? pictures below.

also when she’s been pecking around at the group i’ve seen liquid like water or spit up come out 2-3 times.

she’s my first gal to lay so i have no experience with what she might be like now that she’s laying.

they’re about to put themselves to bed for the night. any advice is greatly appreciated!!

676724AF-DB32-4A7A-A841-6C5728FBCC6C.jpeg

10DD26E2-FF67-4D13-A157-11EAA3C53C35.jpeg

5E5FBB98-9BC5-44FA-922D-A0DF0B8D2301.jpeg

she’s also like being really slow and almost uncoordinated and didn’t want to hop up onto her perch where they sleep so i let her step onto my arm to step up rather than the little jump they always do.

Hello. I'm sorry I have no idea what this is but I'm interested to see what anyone has to say.
i still don’t know entirely. the next morning she was fine and i found a paper thin egg on the ground not even in a nesting box.
the yolk and all that was still intact so i’m not sure how or why her poop had it in it. she was fine during the day. my friend who actually is the one who hatched her said maybe her poor little body was trying too hard since she made 2 perfectly fine eggs in a row. i’ll update later today since i’m waiting until i see a normal egg to finally relax and know she’s okay. she has access to crushed oyster shell and has been on layer feed for about 2 weeks. here is the egg.
D53838A9-132B-4BEC-9D8E-EBCC1761467F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom