Just starting out! 🪺

Chrissie G

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2022
My husband and I are just starting to get our area set up and pricing out coups! Are biggest hurdle is finding our chickens (egg layers) I only want 5 or 6 hens and I want 2 road island reds, 2 Americaunas and 2 barred Plymouth Rocks! They will be our pets as well as supplying Eggs and we have kids and grandkids so we would like friendly loving chickens! Can someone steer me towards someone that can help! O’ and we would prefer them to be close to 17lbs old already

Hello Chrissie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
@Chrissie G, I suggest you join some local FB poultry groups and ask around. But bare in mind that there are significant risks in purchasing POL (point of lay) chickens as you may acquire sick birds without knowing it.
I strongly suggest being patient and just raising some chicks.
You can also convert a shed into a chicken coop and be way ahead of the game first buying a tiny, cheaply made, poorly designed pre-fab coop.
Good luck with your adventure!

Last edited:
:welcome

Hi Chrissie, you might have luck checking with the folks on your state thread (see link at the bottom of this post), or in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum. Or you may want to check out an online hatchery such as Murray McMurray or MyPetChicken, among others.

Best of luck!

Welcome to BYC.
I would not buy a prefab coop.
You'll get more space and better value from building or having one built.
Starting with chicks is best for biosecurity reasons, but if you do decide to buy layers, be sure and get them all from the same seller. That way, if they do have an illness, at least they will all have the same illness.

My husband and I are just starting to get our area set up and pricing out coups! Are biggest hurdle is finding our chickens (egg layers) I only want 5 or 6 hens and I want 2 road island reds, 2 Americaunas and 2 barred Plymouth Rocks! They will be our pets as well as supplying Eggs and we have kids and grandkids so we would like friendly loving chickens! Can someone steer me towards someone that can help! O’ and we would prefer them to be close to 17lbs old already
Welcome to BYC! What state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom