just starting out, but does anyone clip feathers?

pappy1264

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
I was told I should clip my birds 'flight' feathers by a friend. I will not be free ranging. Does anyone do that or should I? My babies are only a couple weeks old, but just trying to learn all I can. Thank you.

What conditions will they be in? Coop with a covered run? If so, no clipping is necessary. If they'll be in a run without a top on it, and your fence isn't very high, then you might want to consider it. My chickens free range, so I don't clip and don't know anything about it, so hopefully someone with experience will chime in here. I have read that you only need to clip one wing to keep them from flying over the fence. You also probably want to keep perches, feeders and waterers away from the fence so they don't hop on top of those things up to the top of the fence.

What conditions will they be in? Coop with a covered run? If so, no clipping is necessary. If they'll be in a run without a top on it, and your fence isn't very high, then you might want to consider it. My chickens free range, so I don't clip and don't know anything about it, so hopefully someone with experience will chime in here. I have read that you only need to clip one wing to keep them from flying over the fence. You also probably want to keep perches, feeders and waterers away from the fence so they don't hop on top of those things up to the top of the fence.
I second that!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight
That article should help you out!
wink.png

You only need to clip if your coop does not have a roof, exept if the fence is high enough that clipping is not needed. I dont clip my chickens wing feathers, but they are free - range. If you do clip make sure to clip both sides or they will fly and turn sideways wich is a disibility during a predator attack. At your chickens age clipping is not needed. I'd wait 'till they are about 3 - 4 months old before clipping. I would not clip them if you are planning to show your birds. You may want to know the feathers grow back slightly different then before, which is just 1 of the reasons I dont clip my chickens. Chickens being able to fly, is a great ability durring a predator attck, wich is another reason I don't clip my birds. I have a freind who clips her birds, she has a coop and a run, they are not free - range. Also in her situation her dog will kill them if they escape. Some chickens won't leave at all beacause they don't want to be away from the flock. The first few weeks I didn't free - range my chickens and they sometimes got out of the run. Clipping a rooster should not be needed they willl never leave the hens. I dont know your situation I tried to leave possibilities for several of them.
Good Luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong but certain breeds are less likely to fly? When buying our hens from a breeder she showed us some leghorns, said that they were likely to fly but the Isa browns, silkies and wyandottes didn't fly. Well, they were less likely to fly. Not sure. Any pro's out there?

Correct me if I'm wrong but certain breeds are less likely to fly? When buying our hens from a breeder she showed us some leghorns, said that they were likely to fly but the Isa browns, silkies and wyandottes didn't fly. Well, they were less likely to fly. Not sure. Any pro's out there?

not really a pro but yes that's true

heavy breeds tend to only fly up and drop down after a few feet and some wont even attempt to fly

but leghorn are notorious for flying and can fly well

same as any breed that is slim and has leghorn in them like legbars and some araucanas (well the British ones as they are slim line)

I do clip wings as I have had flyers over a 7 foot fence and they where my araucana and leghorns but I clip all my breeds

one side only and first 10 feathers just up to the second set of feathers not right up to skin

when they moult and get new feathers then clip the other side

this will keep them disorientated and they wont be able to learn to fly with clipped wings

don't clip both sides at same time as they will learn to balance and fly with clipped wings. The aim is to unbalance them

They will be in an enclosed area (run and coop) so I guess I do not have to clip. Just wanted to be sure, in case they were to get out of the pen accidently. TY.

They will be in an enclosed area (run and coop) so I guess I do not have to clip. Just wanted to be sure, in case they were to get out of the pen accidently. TY.
Something to keep in mind - if they were to get out, and they're safe where they are, you can just leave the coop door open and they will more often than not put themselves back into the coop to roost at night. I know this is a ways down the road, but I just wanted to mention it for future reference.

I do agree with bobb-j. You dont need to clip both wings, but only clipping one is a huge advantage to a predator and a disadvantage to the Chicken. They can't fly over with 1 fully feathered wing but when deciding what to do please remember predators will then have an advantage. I read this afer I made my post so I should say I have no experience clipping chicken's feathers. Good Luck!

IdK I have not heard anything about this but it would make since with some breeds.

Back
Top Bottom