Just to clarify...question about hardware cloth and a heat lamp

cassada2604

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Indianapolis
I am fixing my brooder. I bought 3 New Hampshire Reds today and put them in a plastic bin. I am covering the bin with hardware cloth and I was going to set the heat lamp on top. Can a heat lamp set directly on hardware cloth?

I would say that you do not want the bulb itself to touch the hardware cloth. It should be unobstructed. If something fell on top of the harwdare cloth, close enough to the bulb, it could very well start a fire. Be careful!

p.s
welcome-byc.gif

enjoy your chicks.

Last edited:
You're talking about setting the lamp housing on top of the metal HW cloth screen??? Since the bulb is recessed, I don't see a problem as long as the screen is well supported (is it in a frame so there's no sagging???). Also, I would not solely rely on it just setting there, because it could get knocked off. I would make sure it was stablized with wire or something similar.

Last edited:
I hang mine above the brooder. That way I can adjust the height, to adjust the temperature. They start out warmer and I drop the temperature a little each week, as they feather out.

Back
Top Bottom