Just Today bought New Ducks Home~

Duck-Madx

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
California (recently moved)
Hello All
smile.png

Well today, we just bought our two ducks home. A female Black east Indian & A female Miniature silver appleyard. Both very very adorable!

Of course, they where very frightened of us. And run away to the other side of their pen whenever we come near, but im sure they will get used to us in time?
The thing we're worried about is that, we haven't seen them eating the pellets yet. They've been drinking, foraging, but not eating. Is it becuase they're not used to the feeders? Or haven't seen it yet? Though Im sure they have. Help needed, as we're pretty worried. Im probably worried over nothing.

Another thing is, I want them to get used to me, but whenever i try to sit down next to them, and talk to them (as i do
big_smile.png
) They stil seem scared, and im worried im stressing them out. Is there anyway i can help them feel at ease, and feel more safe with me?

Thanks.

Try sitting down with a handful of feed or oatmeal and toss it about 1-2 feet away from you. Don't make a noise or talk to them cause if they are not used to you then this scares them.

i feed mine lettuce and tomatos cut up small and after a couple of times they are now my buds.it wont take them long to learn you mean treats.good luck:caf

I'd leave them alone for a couple of days...let them get used to their new pen. Feed and water them and talk to them while you're doing that, but don't try and force contact on them. I'm sure you are stressing them out with everything being new to them. I've had mine for years and they don't like to be touched or held...most ducks don't. They come running when I feed them, but they don't like to be handled. I wouldn't worry about them not eating the pellets either....you said they're foraging and I'm sure their finding stuff to eat that way. When they get hungry enough they'll eat the pellets. If they weren't fed the same kind of feed at where ever you got them they have to get use to it too.

Katy, you must have the cutest ducks ever judging by your avatar.
My ducks won't let me touch them but they will follow me and come to me most of the time when I call but not always. When they hear the gate on the porch squeak or hear my voice they "laugh at me" as my dh likes to say.
gig.gif

Thanks...yes, i think they're pretty cute too. That's one of my girls as my avatar. I'd love to get some mandarins, but all I've got are my call ducks.....and my chickens....and my guineas.

Last edited:
Our ducks don't like to be handled either, and we held them several times a day as babies. One used to fall asleep in our hands.

They will easily come up to us though. The males are playing "macho" right now and follow us around pretending to attack (or maybe they really are attacking and just can't bite hard, but I think they are showing off). And if I am carrying the feed bucket, they are RIGHT THERE underfoot ... takes me a long time to cross the yard and get to the place where I feed them without stepping on one. Even the shyest female that hates to be touched will get right under my feet and cross back and forth in front of me.

I can pet any of them while they are eating. They may not like it much, but they tolerate it for the sake of food. I think the way to a duck's heart is definitely through it's stomach!

I hope yours settle in soon, and get used to you.
smile.png
Congrats on your new duckies!

trish

Okay, thanks everyone.

Luckily enough, we put down a small plate on the floor, and sprinkled some of their food onto that. Even though they walked all over it, in the end they found it and have been eating - which is good.

Yes, we've decided to leave them to get on with things. And maybe in a few days, try the bonding thing again.

We may also try, giving them treats (hand feeding) as you recommended chickencrazzy and peeps7.

Back
Top Bottom