Just two Roos

Seacraft

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
Hello everyone! Been using this forum for advice since I got my chicks and now have some questions!

I purchase two baby chicks on a whim from a outdoor pazar and raised them together, hoping for some eggs in the future. They are now both about 4-5 months old, and both definitely roosters. They generally get on pretty well, sleep cuddled at night and roost together during the day, but one now is currently starting to show more dominant behavior as expected. He does what I can only assume is a mating dance or assertive dance around me whenever I come to visit with them, and chases the other away if he comes to sit with me. Both myself and the less dominant rooster have received some mighty pecks from the dominant one. I’ve tried holding him recently to calm him down, which works for a little while, but then gets back to dancing around short after.

Is it possible to keep two roosters together as pets? Or is this a fools errand. I’ve gotten so attached to both, and giving one away, or introducing chickens doesn’t seem like the best option. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

People do keep bachelor flocks of roosters only so I would think it's fine to keep your 2 together as pets without any hens. But I wouldn't stand for any aggressive behavior towards people. If he doesn't respond to Nuthatched suggestion with pecking him back and gets aggressive with you I'd suggest to rehome him and get some hens for your other boy. Or if you want to keep both boys (and they aren't aggressive towards you) then you could have them in separate coops with hens for each of them?

It seems the dominant rooster is trying to claim you as his ‘hen’ therefore trying to chase off the other rooster because they do fight for hens. I’ve had a situation where I’ve had two roosters fight for the ‘leader’ position and one end up completely bloodied/near death if my mom hadn’t broken them up. If I was in your position I would give one up unfortunately. Though there are other ways of compromising to keep them but separated. I wish you the best.

Thank you so much!

No hens right now, I worry introducing hens may make them more aggressive towards each other/in general. I have bopped him back a bit when he pecks, but probably not as forcefully as necessary.

I appreciate the replies!

Thank you so much!

No hens right now, I worry introducing hens may make them more aggressive towards each other/in general. I have bopped him back a bit when he pecks, but probably not as forcefully as necessary.

I appreciate the replies!
"Pecking" back may work for some roosters, but I can tell you from my own experience it only made my dominant rooster more aggressive and less trust worthy. It has taken me 4 weeks to undo what I did with him. Even still if I move too fast towards his head, he will peck at me, otherwise now we get along okay. I did have to seperate the 2 of them though. They are now what I call neighbors, as they each have their own rooster tractor next to one another. I still cant let them both out to free range at the same time, as one will try to kill the other, even though he runs away. Then the next day he is back to asserting himself with me and the girls. I found it is just better to let them live their lives as neighbors, and take turns visiting with the girls instead from time to time.

So, in my theory, just like humans, no two roosters are identical. It all depends on their personalities and behavior tolerance and intolerance.

If there are no hens around then two roosters can get along together fine. The problem here is that the one cockerel sees you as a potential mate and so there is, to him, a hen around and thus he is acting aggressive toward the other cockerel. I suspect his aggressive behavior toward you is similar to the behavior many inexperienced cockerels display toward hens and pullets.

But if that's not the case, and he is simply attacking you, then you probably can't remedy this situation. In that case, you can keep him in his own pen, or give or sell him to someone else. In which case you could introduce pullets or hens with no problem with the other cockerel.

Guess you just have to watch and see, and decide what works best for you.

People who are inexperienced often miss the cues that a bird is getting more aggressive. I think your dominant bird is giving you those cues. Dancing for you is not good, pecking at you is not good.

This forum is full of people looking for the secret behavior, secret trick to make roosters act nice, and there really isn't one. Some birds never are aggressive to people, and some just get worse and worse. Beware when around him, he probably will be sizing you up, and will look to get you when you are bent over, or looking somewhere else.

Good luck, but there is a good chance that it may not work for this bird.

MRs K

People will keep only rooster flocks known as "Bachelor Flocks" if there are no hens around then they could get along fine, although I would try to show that dominant one your the boss. If you can't you may have to find him a new home, which if he is aggressive will probably be in a pot, but you would be able to get some hens and he wouldn't torment you or the other roo anymore, and you will know he had a good life. But if you have to rehome becareful not to give him to someone who will use him for cock fighting. Just know if you decide to keep a bachelor flock you won't be able to get any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom