just walked outside and...

imaturtlefan

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
saw a hawk flying away with one of my hens 4 week old chicks in its talons
sad.png
Actually saw the stupid thing... it was only like 20 ft from me when I walked out as it flew away, but couldnt do anything about it...ugh. Last year I stopped letting my chickens free range because of this, but I live in the woods, witha clearing around my house, and we are absolutely infested with ticks here. I got the chickens mostly to control ticks, and they do a good job, but I get too attatched, and the hawk eats them
hit.gif

OMG! I am so sorry. I really don't know what to tell you. That had to be horrible to witness. Maybe you could build a pen with a top on it. I need to do that myself. It won't help much on your tick problem if they are in a pen but if you want to protect them from the hawks I don't see any other way. Good luck.

I know...I have one, but as much as I love my chickens, I love my kids more, and they would have ticks everytime they walked outside if it werent for the chickens, they still get them, just not as many. One local teen died last year from minengitis from a tick, I guess its a compromise, sacrificing the chickens for the safety of my kids
sad.png
I could use chemicals, but we have 7 acres that the kids roam...thats a lot of chems, and I dont like using that stuff...its not healthy either.

Sorry to hear that happened! I do understand why you don't keep them penned up. So maybe it wont be so hard to replace with a couple more new chickens?

Yeah thats why i let my hens raise chicks this year.... cheaper than buying new ones. My husband had bought me 4 new babies, then that hen had 7, and another just had 3, my husband asked me what I was going to do with that many chickens... I told him they would probably be replacements...I was really hoping they wouldnt be though. I make a terrible farmer... I just get too attatched. My mom is the same way, she lives on a farm, they raise cows, but my mom cant eat meat anymore, it makes her sick. LOL.

I don't know if you have a dog that's good with chickens, but they won't risk diving down if there's one nearby. I see hawks around here a lot but they never come in my yard.

I have a pug and a yorkie, both great with the chickens...dont seem to notice the hawks though... they are usually on the back porch. The hawks certainly arent afraid of them, I think most of my hens weigh more than my yorkie. I had considered getting a big dog to watch the chickens though.

Ive heard turkeys can be protective...wondering if getting something like a giant tom turkey would deter hawks... I really dont want to get another dog, my husband is incredibly allergic (hes allergic to everything) but the last thing he needs is another dog coming inside, especially a big one with lots of dander.

A turkey would be less likely to attack and eat your other birds - lol. New dogs can take a lot of time to train. I'm sure the hawks fear my dogs because they're big. Turkeys can be pretty big and intimidating-looking too. Mine cohabitate with chickens and they are fine with it. Might be worth a try!

Quote:
I've also read where if a turkey is raised with the chicks they will protect them.

Guineas (sp?) are supposed to be great tick eaters. Once you have them knowing where 'home' is they will come back each night, but you have to get them as chicks.

Could you just keep the mama's and chicks in the covered pen til they are bigger?

Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom