just watched a bad movie...

I picked the movie up for $2 at Walmart black friday. I thought it was terrible. The music was like nails on a chalkboard and the kid was just so weird. Originally I thought the story about a kid who had a rough home life and imagined these stories to escape. This kid was just a brat who needed discipline!

All of my friends loved it and I'm not sure why. I was ready to chuck the DVD in the trash. I definitely don't see how it was a kid's movie either.

Haven't see the movie, but the book has always been a favourite of ours. BTW, the kid DOES get disciplined: he was sent to bed without supper, and ether daydreams or falls asleep and dreams the story. When he wakes up and is repentant, he gets his dinner.

People have different tastes in movies (as in everything else)--I've seen any number of movies that were supposed to be "good" that I did not enjoy at all, and an equal number of movies that I enjoyed very much that were supposed to not be any good.

Quote:
This is sooo true. People do have different tastes in movies. (as ineverything else)

x2

Quote:
In the movie, the kid bites his mother and screams at the tops of his lungs, then runs out of the house and falls asleep in the woods. I honestly forget how it ends, but I think he just goes back to his house and gets put to bed. The kid was upset because his mom wouldn't spend time with him or something like that, and then she had a boyfriend over for dinner. At one point, he stands on a chair and yells at his mom "Feed me, woman!" and then just acts like an animal. It was really, really bizarre.

My husband and I loved it.
big_smile.png
It was especially awesome to see Arcade Fire get some exposure. Great coming of age film. Reminds me of so many young kids I have known through the years and through the stages of life myself. The worlds they create for security, the desire to be in cotnrol of their lives, the wish-fulfilment and the confusion that is having the world expand beyond you. (The part about the sun exploding fromt he science teacher helps illustarte the insecurity Max feels, his lack of control over external factors. The Wild Things are Max, and by exploring these aspects of himself, he tries to make sense of things. It was great to see a movie that explored the emotional side of some childhoods with all its confusion and rawness (jealousy, anger, selfishness...all those components that never make it into the Disney movie kids beyond heavy-handed charicatures). I had to giggle a bit about the reviews on movie websites from people claiming, "I doubt this is what Sendak would have wanted!" ...He is still alive. He had a heavy hand in this film.
smile.png
He seemed to support the movie having a life of it's own. The book and movie are two different creations.

Quote:
that book is a family tradition... read to *all* children raised or visiting the house. repeatedly. especially during the holidays.
love the book, love the illustrations. was generally unimpressed with the movie, except that they did very faithfully represent the imagery of the book. overall, if you expected reality, you're bound to be disapointed. if you like muppets or The Dark Crystal... not so bad at all.

I thought it was super weird, strange, dark movie. I also think it has more meaning then most realize like punk-a-doodle says, it is a coming of age story, but think it was just too bizarre of a movie for your average american to enjoy.....

Back
Top Bottom