Just watched a rabbit go right through my electric net fence

thomasboyle

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2013
NW Hills of CT
I was putting my chickens and ducks away tonight and I noticed a rabbit in their fenced in yard area. I have Premier 1 poultry netting all around the chicken yard. I was wondering how he managed to get inside the fence. I shown my flashlight on him, and he started to head for an exit. He stopped short of the fence, and then bolted through it. The fence is in perfect condition, there are no missing strings, and I checked the voltage, and I am getting 8000+ on my test meter. Makes me wonder if he can get in, what else can get in? Certainly a weasel could make it. I have not had any losses inside the fence since I put it up 3 years ago, so its probably not a big risk, but it is still a possibility. Reminder to never become to secure when dealing with animals!

If he hits it running he is not grounded and can't complete the circuit. The idea that sells electric netting, and undoubtedly how it works most of the time, is that a predator cautiously approaches this new thing, and with feet firmly planted sniffs it. At this point he gets shocked so horribly he never goes near it again, and in fact teaches his offspring to never go near it by example. Some animals can learn to overcome obstacles much worse than plastic string that shocks, however. If it is less than six feet high most wild canines can jump it without breaking stride.

Good morning ; I found your duck / chick palace online was completely smktten, I follwed the trail to your BYC profile and saw that you are also in the NW CT area. Currently my flock of 20+ ducks and 40+ chickens are occupying horse stalls in my barn but the mess is getting to be unbearable and would love to know if you have and design plans or more I for on your beautiful palace --- any assistance would help ! As you know last year at this time we had inches / feet of snow and now I'm racing against the clock before mother nature hits hahaha! -your neighbor in the North Canaan Area

Back
Top Bottom