Just what did I get yesterday?

vickie2133

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Corbin
Ok my Aunt and Uncle told me I could have their city ducks LOL, so I drove 2 counties away to get them, and the gray one is crested, but not sure of much else. She picked them up at the feed store, at Easter, and they are very large to be that age. Oh she said they were city ducks because they took them down the hill to the pond, and they would swim out just a few feet and then notice my aunt and uncle going up the hill to home, and the ducks went back up the hill and beat them home LOL. I don't mind I got free ducks. Now i'm up to twelve ducks. Ok I am having trouble posting the pics.
22089_2323232327ffp83b83enu3d33923e3b763e2743ewsnrcg3d3253b3c6573b6335nu0mrj.jpg
22089_2323232327ffp9343enu3d33923e3b763e2743ewsnrcg3d3253b3c4843a8335nu0mrj.jpg

Last edited:
the two dark ones look like cayugas or cayuga mixes to me, maybe khacki campbells

the crested looks like a crest blue swed.

I'll take em if you don't want em
droolin.gif

do you know what they are?, as in hens or drakes?

ETA: ok, didn't give the second pic time to load, do noth the black ones have white bibs?, they they're most likely black sweds.

I'll still take em LOL

Last edited:
The feed store told her they was khacki campbells. But she wasnt' too confident of it. I think they are adorable. Unsure of the sexes yet. The black and white one is somewhat smaller than the others.

I don't think they have their adult voices yet, she got them at Easter. But the gray one and the two in the pic with it, are the loudest, and the smaller black one by itself in the pic is not as loud. That would be awesome to have only one drake.

Hello,
I would love to see better pic's if you could retake them..

The two brown ducks with the greyish one in the first picture, are Rouens.
They are from the same family of the Kahki Cambells but they have the distinct Bluish,purple stripped band at the end of the main flight feathers. and the white circle around the collar.

I had Kaki's and now have Rouens. They are beautiful Ducks and are a stitch to watch play. They are extremely aggresive with the "female" so If they are Drakes, Watch out !!

I keep my Drakes seperate from the Hen's (Female Duck's) because they are too aggresive with them. The only way to tell the SEX is to wait until they develope "'The Curly Tail Feathers'". Drake's have curly tail feathers.

You will know it once they start curling up. Like the other person mentioned, Male's (Drake's) have a very soft quack. Female's are extremely LOUD....LOL

I'am not sure about the grey one...
The other brown duck at the bottom, look's like a Rouen with a white front.
Un-usual but it has the perfect markings of the Rouen....Have Fun with your new Babies...

Last edited:
sorry the pics are not very good, they were took from my cell phone, befor a wave of storms here in ky this evening. The dark ducks look black to me more than any sort of brown.

Those are not Rouens. Rouens are not chocolate colored, or black, but rather Mallard colored.

The bottom one looks like a sweedish duck, black or blue I can't tell from the picture quality. The two dark ones in the first picture would not surprise me if they were khaki campbells (although that one has white on it, it could be mixed?). Some of them can be very dark in color, with dark, iridescent green heads.
The crested duck looks like it's sweedish based, but possibly mixed to get the crest. I've never seen them in that color, but maybe they do come in it purebred?

With the white bibs/breast, they seem to be swedes, which is a very common hatchery duck.

Here is the feathersite link, that shows many good pictures of them.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Swedes/BRKSwedes.html

They could be campbells, but they would have to be a dark phase. The ducks in the picture(non-crested) appear to be black, instead of brown. I would guess them to be swedes, especially since one black one(second picture) and the crested on have that white bib.

wow they look A LOT like my three that I raised from day olds
ep.gif
There is one silver swedish hen and two cayugas(a hen and a drake) you can tell which is the hen and which is the drake easily by size comparison
big_smile.png
I don't have the best pictures of them all together but I will show you the best ones I have and one of just the silver swede. I also have a hilarious picture i'll show of them, with two other khakis that we raised and recently re-homed, getting soaked by the hose as they all drank up the water
gig.gif
lau.gif
. You can obviously tell they are much younger in that pic.

34412_my_pets_165.jpg

34412_my_pets_174.jpg

34412_my_pets_181.jpg

34412_ducklings_004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom